Home Forums HDP on Linux – Installation Installation fails on starting namenode

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Larry Liu 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Niels Basjes
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve been trying to install HDP 2 on a few old desktop systems to see what it the differences are with CDH.
    I use CentOS 6 64bit and after having installed it all the Ambari gui shows it failed during the startup of HDFS.
    After some searching I’ve found the actual error:

“\”Thu Jan 10 12:33:18 +0100 2013 /Stage[2]/Hdp2-hadoop::Namenode/Hdp2-hadoop::Service[namenode]/Hdp2::Exec[su - hdfs -c '/usr/lib/hadoop/sbin/hadoop-daemon.sh --config /etc/hadoop/conf start namenode']/Exec[su - hdfs -c '/usr/lib/hadoop/sbin/hadoop-daemon.sh --config /etc/hadoop/conf start namenode']/returns (notice): log4j:ERROR Could not find value for key log4j.appender.RFAS\””,
    “\”Thu Jan 10 12:33:18 +0100 2013 /Stage[2]/Hdp2-hadoop::Namenode/Hdp2-hadoop::Service[namenode]/Hdp2::Exec[su - hdfs -c '/usr/lib/hadoop/sbin/hadoop-daemon.sh --config /etc/hadoop/conf start namenode']/Exec[su - hdfs -c '/usr/lib/hadoop/sbin/hadoop-daemon.sh --config /etc/hadoop/conf start namenode']/returns (notice): log4j:ERROR Could not instantiate appender named \\\”RFAS\\\”.\””,

So I added these extra lines to /etc/hadoop/conf/log4j.properties
    log4j.appender.RFAS=org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender
    log4j.appender.RFAS.File=${hadoop.log.dir}/${hadoop.security.log.file}
    log4j.appender.RFAS.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
    log4j.appender.RFAS.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{ISO8601} %p %c: %m%n
    log4j.appender.RFAS.DatePattern=.yyyy-MM-dd

Now when I run this command (manually) I get this error in the logfile:
    java.io.IOException: NameNode is not formatted.

Now I know how to do things like that but Ambari only offers to reinstall the cluster and start over (well I tried that a few times and it doesn’t work).

I have two questions:
    1) Are these above points simply “known bugs” in the installation?
    2) How do I continue the installation after I’ve fixed the underlying error (like I did above)?

Thanks
    Niels Basjes

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

Larry Liu

Hi, Niels,

Thanks for trying HDP.

From the error you get “java.io.IOException: NameNode is not formatted.”, it seems the Namenode is not formatted successfully during HDFS startup. Can you please get the log files from /var/log/hadoop/hdfs and ftp to us:

http://hortonworks.com/community/forums/topic/hmc-installation-support-help-us-help-you/

In order to continue, you may try to format by running the following command as root:

su – hdfs -c “/usr/lib/hadoop/bin/hadoop namenode -format”

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Larry

Collapse
Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)