Home Forums Hortonworks Sandbox Installing Hortonworks Sandbox on a remote virtual machine.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Seth Lyubich 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Boy Sp

Hi

I have some remote virtual machines, they don’t have any OS in them.
    Can I use Hortonworks Sandbox without installing any OS on any of them first?

Thank you.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

Seth Lyubich
    Keymaster

Hi Boy,

I don’t think you can install a built appliance to an already created VM. You can try importing OVA file in ESX while creating a new VM:

In the VI Client, there should be an option to import a Virtual Appliance:
    File –> Virtual Appliance –> Import
    This will start a wizard that will transfer and convert the appliance.

You can read further on how import works in ESX here:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/144251

Hope this helps,
    Seth

Collapse

Boy Sp

Hi Seth,

I have successfully installed Hortonworks Sandbox on my local machine (using VMWare Player). But that’s not what I am trying to do. I want to install Hortonworks Sandbox on remote machines that have no OS in them.

Additional Info: I think my remote virtual machines use VMware ESX Server.

Thank you,
    Boy.

Collapse

Seth Lyubich
    Keymaster

Hi Boy,

I don’t think that mounting/inserting the image will help here. OVA file that we provide is a built appliance and needs to be imported. This procedure should create new VM for you. Here are instruction for VMware (step 4):

http://hortonworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/InstallingHortonworksSandboxonWindowsUsingVMwarePlayerv2.pdf

Also, just a quick note, that once you import your appliance, you will need to make sure that your interface configured so that your browser is able to reach the new appliance.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,
    Seth

Collapse

Boy Sp

Hi Ted,

I am wondering how could I transfer the Hortonworks Sandbox image file into remote virtual machine.
    The remote machine has no OS installed so it will stuck at boot showing “No operating system”. I’m wondering how could I transfer and run the image file.
    I have tried inserting image file using VMware console, but it supports only .ISO not .OVA or .OVF.

Thank you,
    Boy.

Collapse

tedr

Hi Boy Sp,

Though it should be possible to get it up and running, this is not a fully supported use case for the Sandbox. It was assumed by the designers of the Sandbox that it would be run on the users local computer.
    Assuming that this is on a VMware ESX server or similar. You should:
    * Download or transfer the VMware version of the Sandbox image on the server.
    * Follow the procedure for importing that image into a new VM.
    * Look at the Documentation for the VMware Sandbox to make sure you have all the settings for the new VM correct. With the exception of using the “host only network adapter” – you should point this at the network that will allow this VM to be seen by the computers on the network which your main computer resides. You may need to experiment here a bit.
    * Start up the Sandbox VM and wait for it to tell you the IP to point your browser at.

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse

Boy Sp

I’m using VMware. Could you tell me how to do that ?

Thank you.

Collapse

tedr

Hi Boy Sp,

As the Sandbox includes CentOS 6.2 OS you should be able to install it on your remote machine without installing an OS first. What is the VM platform (VMware, Virtualbox)?

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse
Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)