Yes, it seems that when I updated player from 5.0.1 to 5.0.2 without first removing the old version, some network plumbing got fouled up. It was only recently that I saw that one of network adapters VMNET1 and VMNET8 wasn't correctly configured. My problems with ssh IP addresses began only after the upgrade and I had been living with them for awhile.
So I deleted the current 5.0.2, did a fresh install, and then my IP issues went away and I checked that both of the network adapters seemed to have correct assigned IPs. So connecting the dots, it seems like the player upgrade was the source of the problem.