Home Forums Hortonworks Sandbox Issues installing Sandbox on VMWare player

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dave 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Matthew Potter
    Participant

Hi,

I’m very new to vmware, hadoop and all this stuff coming from more of a .NET background, but wanted to evaluate the technology and try it out.

First of all I have installed VMWare player 6.0.2 build-1744117 on a Windows 8.1 4GB Asus laptop, downloaded the Hortonworks_Sandbox_2.1 ova file.

It all loads up correctly apart from an error:

Call From sandbox.hortonworks.com/192.168.200.128 sandbox.hortonworks.com:8020 failed on connection java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused

I don’t know if this is important or whether it is a showstopper, but it didn’t look good to me.

It seems to work up to a point. The load of the VM works and I can load up the http://192.168.200.128/ “Welcome to the Hortonworks Data Platform (HDP) 2.1 Sandbox” page, but when I click on the “Dive right in” http://127.0.0.1:8000 link on the page I just get an Unable to access network error:

Google Chrome is having trouble accessing the network.

This may be because your firewall or anti-virus software wrongly thinks Google Chrome is an intruder on your computer and is blocking it from connecting to the Internet.
    Allow Chrome to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings.
    If it is already listed as a programme that is allowed to access the network, try removing it from the list and adding it again.
    Error code: ERR_NETWORK_ACCESS_DENIED

I have also tried firefox, but get a similar error.

I’ve tried opening the ports used, disabling the firewall, but this seems to have no effect.

I also tried ssh root@192.168.200.128 but it just seems to hang (I’ve also tried with the -v switch and it seems to connect, but hangs and doesn’t return to the user).

I’d prefer to get the browser UI working if possible, but if not at least the command line.

Any help would be much appreciated from a newbie.

Thanks,

Matt

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

Dave

Hi Matthew,

This is just my personal preference.
    Obviously if you used bridged then you will not be able to connect to 127.0.0.1 (ie localhost) as you will need to use whatever IP the sandbox gets. Ie on my network it is a 192.168.1 address.
    Virtual Box will be setup with different defaults to VMWare – we can’t control how your virtualization software is configured.
    The PDF guide for the mac is basically the same as windows:

Open VMWare player, click on import. Or double click on the VMWare machine.

You could create a VMWare machine with CentOS on it and configure the networking and install a single node cluster if you wanted it to be fully reachable from within your network.

The Sandbox does work if you SSH into it and ensure it is listening on the correct ports – this is where you Virtualization software comes into it.
    I would look at VMWare documentation if you are not familiar with the settings – otherwise I am happy to help.

Regards

Dave

Collapse

Matthew Potter
    Participant

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your response. It is much appreciated. I’ve tried changing to use NAT, Bridged, Host Only and anything else I can think of and it still doesn’t seem to work. You say you use bridged, but it doesn’t mention this anywhere I’ve read.

I posted this so if anyone hit this problem they’d have some answers. Just to note I downloaded VirtualBox and on the first download of the ova file it didn’t downloaded completely and it didn’t even get to the stage of returning the page with the links to the tutorials and hue interface (and the filesize is as it says it should be).

It’s just frustrating that there is nothing out there. I know these things can be tricky as I’m guessing other things on the PC can interfere with this or maybe in Windows 8.1 or the firewall/virus protection that is blocking it from working. It’s interesting it works in VirtualBox but not VMWare though.

The other thing is that there is a pdf install guide for Mac but not Windows.

I had previous tried to install hadoop natively using Java, cygwin, Maven, and Protocol buffers, but couldn’t get it working and gave up after reading and trying advice found online. I do seem to have 2 Network adapters for VMWare visible on the Network and Adapter page in Control Panel. I don’t know if this is causing a problem. As I said before there isn’t much advice out there.

Any comments let me know. It was just getting really frustrating.

Thanks,

Matt

Collapse

Dave

Hi Matthew,

The error looks to be coming from VMWare as opposed to HDP itself.
    If you used 192.168.200.128:8000 you probably would’ve been able to connect.
    This is to do with the network settings in VMWare Player, desktop whichever you are using.

I can assure you the Sandbox for VMWare does work and if you setup the correct networking dependent on your hardware (I usually used bridged and that way I can access it anywhere on my network)

Thanks

Dave

Collapse

Matthew Potter
    Participant

In case anyone is reading this – I’ve just installed VirtualBox and downloaded the HDP Sandbox for VirtualBox and although I got the same output logged it works. I’d love to know why. Maybe the HDP Sandbox for VMWare I downloaded was corrupted somehow, or maybe the VMWare Player wasn’t installed correctly. I’ve looked around the web everywhere, but found no advice anywhere, which is a little worrying for a product that is supposed to be cutting edge.

Collapse
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)