Hive / HCatalog Forum

Latest Hive and Tez installation

Roshan Punnoose
    Participant

Hi,

With Hortonworks 2.0.4 I was able to get hive and tez running fine with the installation instructions from: http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.0.4.0/bk_installing_manually_book/content/rpm-chap-tez-5-4.html. However, after upgrading to the latest rpms, tez no longer starts. Every job becomes a Mapreduce job by default, instead of a tez job. Any ideas?

I noticed that the HIVE_AUX_JARS_PATH no longer seems to support ‘:’, so I added this to my hive-env.sh script to load every jar from the tez installation:
    ###########################################
    TEZ_AUX_PATH=/etc/tez/conf
    # Folder containing extra ibraries required for hive compilation/execution can be controlled by:
    for f in /usr/lib/tez/*.jar; do
    TEZ_AUX_PATH=${TEZ_AUX_PATH},$f;
    done

for f in /usr/lib/tez/lib/*.jar; do
    TEZ_AUX_PATH=${TEZ_AUX_PATH},$f;
    done

export HIVE_AUX_JARS_PATH=”/usr/lib/hcatalog/share/hcatalog/hcatalog-core.jar,${TEZ_AUX_PATH}”
    #######################

Also, updated the jars on hdfs.

Roshan

to create new topics or reply. | New User Registration

• Author
    Replies
    Robert
    Participant

Hi Roshan,
    Just wondering if you made some tweaks prior to the latest updates? Have you tried just installing fresh and not via an upgrade?

Regards,
    Robert

Roshan Punnoose
    Participant

I started a new instance with a fresh install of hadoop/hive/tez (all the latest). Followed the steps above, and the hive queries still always default to using regular mapreduce.

If I follow this tutorial: http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.0.0.2/bk_installing_manually_book/content/rpm-chap-tez-2.html. I get this exception: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.hadoop.yarn.api.records.DelegationToken

Do I need to add yarn jars specifically to the hive/hadoop classpath?

You must be to reply to this topic. | Create Account

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.