The Hortonworks Community Connection is now live. A completely rebuilt Q&A forum, Knowledge Base, Code Hub and more, backed by the experts in the industry.

You will be redirected here in 10 seconds. If your are not redirected, click here to visit the new site.

The legacy Hortonworks Forum is now closed. You can view a read-only version of the former site by clicking here. The site will be taken offline on January 31,2016

HDP on Windows – Installation Forum

Mahout on windows

Ryan Tao
    Participant

Hi,
    When is mahout put in HDP for windows?
    Is there any way that I can run mahout on windows now?
    Thanks

• Author
    Replies
    Seth Lyubich

Hi Ryan,

We are looking to add Mahout into our HDP for Windows in a forthcoming release.

Thanks for your interest,
    Seth

Ryan Tao
    Participant

Do we have a roadmap on what time the release with mahout will be release?

tedr

Hi Ryan,

There is a road map, but no specific timeline as yet.

Thanks,
    Ted.

I see you can run mahout job using this:

hadoop jar C:\hdp-win\hadoop\mahout-distribution-0.7\mahout-core-0.7-job.jar org.apache.mahout.cf.taste.hadoop.item.RecommenderJob -s SIMILARITY_COOCCURRENCE --input=/mahout test/mInput.txt --output=/mahout-test/output --usersFile= /mahout-test/users.txt

But I still can’t figure out how to run a logisitc regresion for example.

If I replace:

hadoop jar C:\hdp-win\hadoop\mahout-distribution-0.7\mahout-core-0.7-job.jar org.apache.mahout.cf.taste.hadoop.item.RecommenderJob

With:

hadoop jar C:\hdp-win\hadoop\mahout-distribution-0.7\mahout-core-0.7-job.jar org.apache.mahout.classifier.sgd.TrainLogistic --passes 1 --rate 1 --lambda 0.5 --input /user/test/mahout/donut/donut.csv --features 21 --output /user/test/mahout/donut/donut.model --target color --categories 2 --predictors x y xx xy yy a b c --types n n

I get a class not found exception.

am I missing something?

never mind I couldn’t find TrainLogisitcRegression inside any of the jars in the mahout folder.
    Maybe it’s because I’m running HDP 1.1
    If I install HDP 1.3 would I get logistic regression for mahout?

Thanks!

Ryan Tao
    Participant

HI Allen,

The version of mahout integrated in HDP1.3 is also 0.7.
    I have looked into the jar package you used, and found that TrainLogisitc doesn’t included in the package(mahout-core-0.7-job.jar), please try to use another one named mahout-examples-0.7-job, you will be able to find it from your location ‘C:\hdp-win\hadoop\mahout-distribution-0.7\mahout-examples-0.7-job.jar’. The jar contains the class you need. try it and let me know whether it works.

Thanks

Ryan Tao
    Participant

Hi Alan

So sorry for typing your name wrong.

Yes, that made the trick. Thanks you!
    I’m having issues reading the input from HDFS is there any option I need to set to let mahout know I’m giving it an HDFS path?
    IF I give a pth in my local computer it can read the file fine but if I give an hdfs path I get a file not found exception.

Thanks!

Seth Lyubich

Hi Alan,

Can you please let us know what error you got and full command you used? Maybe you need to add \hadoop-1.2.0.1.3.0.0-0380\bin to environmental variables?

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Seth

when I run TrainLogistic with –input C:\Users\test\Desktop\donut.csv (path to a local file in my local file system) everything works fine.
    However, if I do –input /user/test/mahout/data/donut.csv (path to a file in HDFS) (this is how the example actually does it)
    I get an exception:

Exception in thread "main" java.io.FileNotFoundException: \user\test\mahout\data\donut.csv (The system cannot find the path
    specified)
    at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
    at java.io.FileInputStream.(FileInputStream.java:120)
    at org.apache.mahout.classifier.sgd.TrainLogistic.open(TrainLogistic.java:316)
    at org.apache.mahout.classifier.sgd.TrainLogistic.mainToOutput(TrainLogistic.java:75)
    at org.apache.mahout.classifier.sgd.TrainLogistic.main(TrainLogistic.java:64)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
    at org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.main(RunJar.java:156)

Ryan Tao
    Participant

Hi Alan,

When you run RecommenderJob, Does the HDFS path work?

I don’t get any file norfound exceptions but something seems to be wrong with the output:

S
    I
    M
    I
    L
    A
    R
    I
    T
    Y
    _
    C
    O
    O
    C
    C
    U
    R
    R
    E
    N
    C
    E
    S
    I
    M
    I
    L
    A
    R
    I
    T

The forum ‘HDP on Windows – Installation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.