The Hortonworks Community Connection is now live. A completely rebuilt Q&A forum, Knowledge Base, Code Hub and more, backed by the experts in the industry.

You will be redirected here in 10 seconds. If your are not redirected, click here to visit the new site.

The legacy Hortonworks Forum is now closed. You can view a read-only version of the former site by clicking here. The site will be taken offline on January 31,2016

HDP on Linux – Installation Forum

Manual installation of Ganglia

Gwenael Le Barzic
    Participant

Hello everyone !

I installed HDP2 on a CentOs 6 environnement :
    – 1 master node
    – 3 slaves nodes
    I didn’t install Ganglia at this moment. I would like to install Ganglia server on the master and ganglia client on the slaves and on the master.
    The platform does not have internet access, except through a company proxy.
    We already have downloaded the repositories necessary to install everything (HDP2 and all the components).

I checked the documentation to install manually Ganglia.
    yum install ganglia-gmond-3.5.0-99 ganglia-gmetad-3.5.0-99 ganglia-web-3.5.7-99

I create this topic, because I’m encountering difficulties to install Ganglia.
    When I try this, I get the following error :
    Downloading Packages:
    rrdtool-1.4.5-1.el6.x86_64.rpm | 18 MB 00:00
    http://<IP LOCAL>/hdp/HDP-UTILS-1.1.0.16/rrdtool/rrdtool-1.4.5-1.el6.x86_64.rpm: [Errno -1] Package does not match intended download. Suggestion: run yum --enablerepo=HDP-UTILS-1.1.0.16 clean metadata
    Trying other mirror.

Furthermore, when I try to get this package from the repository of Horton Works :
    http://s3.amazonaws.com/public-repo-1.hortonworks.com/index.html#/HDP-UTILS-1.1.0.16/repos/centos6/rrdtool

This package is strangely small (~500 KB) compared to what I have :(18 MB). And it gives me another error when I try to use it.

I’m wondering if public-repo-1 is really OK and I wanted to know if someone use another repo on the web ?

Thank you in advance for your help guys !

Best regards.

Gwenael Le Barzic

• Author
    Replies
    Gwenael Le Barzic
    Participant

When I try to install ganglia with this other rpm I found on http://s3.amazonaws.com/public-repo-1.hortonworks.com/index.html#/HDP-UTILS-1.1.0.16/repos/centos6/rrdtool.

Here is the error message :
    Downloading Packages:
    http://<IP_LOCAL>/hdp/HDP-UTILS-1.1.0.16/rrdtool/rrdtool-1.4.5-1.el6.x86_64.rpm: [Errno 14] PYCURL ERROR 22 - "The requested URL returned error: 416 Requested Range Not Satisfiable"
    Trying other mirror.

Best regards.

Gwenael

Jeff Sposetti

Hi, Please be sure to use this URL for the HDP Utils repo:

http://public-repo-1.hortonworks.com/HDP-UTILS-1.1.0.16/repos/centos6

Gwenael Le Barzic
    Participant

Hello again.

Thank you for your answer. Thanks to this, here is the process I followed to solve my problem :

1. Redownload the repo file for Ambari 1.4.4.23
    wget http://public-repo-1.hortonworks.com/ambari/centos6/1.x/updates/1.4.4.23/ambari.repo

2. Put this repo file in /etc/yum.repo.d/

3. It is necessary to have the CentOS repo files also for all the dependencies, so keep the CentOs*.repo

4. yum clean metadata

5. yum repolist

6. yum install ganglia-gmond-3.5.0-99 ganglia-gmetad-3.5.0-99 ganglia-web-3.5.7-99
    After some lines of logs that I cannot put here, the process ended up like this :
    Installed:
    ganglia-gmetad.x86_64 0:3.5.0-99 ganglia-gmond.x86_64 0:3.5.0-99 ganglia-web.noarch 0:3.5.7-99

Dependency Installed:
    compat-readline5.x86_64 0:5.2-17.1.el6 libconfuse.x86_64 0:2.7-4.el6 libganglia.x86_64 0:3.5.0-99 perl-rrdtool.x86_64 0:1.4.5-1.el6
    rrdtool.x86_64 0:1.4.5-1.el6 ruby.x86_64 0:1.8.7.352-13.el6 ruby-libs.x86_64 0:1.8.7.352-13.el6

Complete!

Best regards.

Gwenael Le Barzic

Gwenael Le Barzic
    Participant

Unfortunately, now I have another problem.
    After the configuration step, I try to launch ganglia on the master node, and here is the result :
    [root@master hdp]# /etc/init.d/hdp-gmetad start
    =============================
    Starting hdp-gmetad...
    =============================
    Failed to create base directory '-B': Permission denied
    chgrp: impossible d'accéder à « /var/run/ganglia/hdp/rrdcached.sock »: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
    chgrp: impossible d'accéder à « /var/run/ganglia/hdp/rrdcached.limited.sock »: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
    Failed to start /usr/bin/rrdcached
    Not starting /usr/sbin/gmetad because starting /usr/bin/rrdcached failed.

I investigated a little bit and found that the -B permission denied was due to this command line in the file /usr/libexec/hdp/ganglia/startRrdcached.sh :
    su - ${GMETAD_USER} -c "${RRDCACHED_BIN} -p ${RRDCACHED_PID_FILE} \
    -m 664 -l unix:${RRDCACHED_ALL_ACCESS_UNIX_SOCKET} \
    -m 777 -P FLUSH,STATS,HELP -l unix:${RRDCACHED_LIMITED_ACCESS_UNIX_SOCKET} \
    -b ${RRDCACHED_BASE_DIR} -B"

Which gives this once I echoed it after the run of the script :
    su nobody -c /usr/bin/rrdcached -p /var/run/ganglia/hdp/rrdcached.pid
    -m 664 -l unix:/var/run/ganglia/hdp/rrdcached.sock
    -m 777 -P FLUSH,STATS,HELP -l unix:/var/run/ganglia/hdp/rrdcached.limited.sock
    -b -B

Any idea from where the problem can come ?

Best regards.

Gwenael

Gwenael Le Barzic
    Participant

Sorry, I wanted to say, any idea why the variable ${RRDCACHED_BASE_DIR] is not filled ?

BEst regards.

Gwenael

The forum ‘HDP on Linux – Installation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.