Ambari Forum

Nagios.cfg file being overwritten by Ambari

John Jones

We have customizations to the /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg file on the Nagios server. After manually changing the file and performing a ‘kill’ and nagios -vp /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg our customizations are in place. However if I stop/start the Nagios process from the Ambari server the /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg file is overwritten with a default. Is there a configuration file on the Ambari server that I need to change instead of the local nagios.cfg file?

to create new topics or reply. | New User Registration

• Author
    Replies
    John Jones

Update. After the kill and the nagios -pv command I issue the nagios -d /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg command to start.

Seth Lyubich

Hi John,

Can you please let us know what customizations you are trying to do to Nagios?

Thanks,
    Seth

John Jones

Here is the answer provided by support. I verified the solution is good. Ambari has template files that overwrite the nagios cfg files when the service is started by web interface. The typical location of the file that needs to be udpated by the root user is. /var/lib/ambari-agent/puppet/modules/hdp-nagios/templates/nagios.cfg.erb. Once these are updated you can stop and restart the Nagios server with the customizations in place. One item of note is the ambari stop/start does not utilize cache files.

Mike Johnson
    Participant

Hi John,

Thank you for posting your solution, it is really reducing the scope of the problem greatly. I have the same problem and I have tried your solution, however, I can’t find the file:

/var/lib/ambari-agent/puppet/modules/hdp-nagios/templates/nagios.cfg.erb

Even searching for “nagios.cfg.erb” in the file system doesn’t give any results. Do you maybe have an extra idea where this file can be located or what else could be done if the file is missing?

Thanks,

Mike

You must be to reply to this topic. | Create Account

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.