Home Forums HDFS NameNode functions

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Robert Molina 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Swapnil Patil
    Participant

Does namenode writes anything on datanode? I am confused in the following things..
    1) If I have set up replication factor to 3..then does namenode writes these replicas to 3 datanodes? or 1 datanode writes to other datanodes?

Thanks inadvance

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘NameNode functions’ is closed to new replies.

• Author
    Replies

Robert Molina

Hi Swapnil,
    Have you tried just installing the cluster with Ambari? It makes it easier to set up the cluster and administer.

Regards,
    Robert

Collapse

Swapnil Patil
    Participant

Hi Ravi,
    Thanks for your reply..
    How one datanode recognizes other datanodes in the cluster? I mean which file they refer to for other datanodes IP addresses?
    Do they refer etc/hosts file or slaves file
    What kind of setings I need to do in the respective datanode config files.

Collapse

Ravi Kiran

Hi Swapnil,
    The namenode never , ever writes blocks to a datanode directly. The data nodes form a pipeline and the first one sends the block to the second and so on downstream.
    You can see the process of a FileWrite from here

http://books.google.co.in/books?id=drbI_aro20oC&pg=PA70&lpg=PA70&dq=anatomy+of+file+write+in+hadoop&source=bl&ots=tZDmtaj0d8&sig=Sl6aT4XVhHuXYxN_De7teMQoEu8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=RUMnUoSvE4_yiQKiy4C4Cg&ved=0CDwQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=anatomy%20of%20file%20write%20in%20hadoop&f=false

Regards
    Ravi Magham

Collapse
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)