The Hortonworks Community Connection is now live. A completely rebuilt Q&A forum, Knowledge Base, Code Hub and more, backed by the experts in the industry.

You will be redirected here in 10 seconds. If your are not redirected, click here to visit the new site.

The legacy Hortonworks Forum is now closed. You can view a read-only version of the former site by clicking here. The site will be taken offline on January 31,2016

HDP on Windows – Installation Forum

'namenode' service fails while starting HDP in Sandbox 1.3 Windows Version

Rajeev Joshi

Hi!
    I was trying out Hadoop (Sandbox 1.3 Version) for the first time, and was doing the Hello World Tutorial.

Firstly, I got an error while installation because the clusterservices.txt file mentioned d: as log file repositories, and I had only a C: drive on my Server.
    I split the C: into E: (D: was the DVD Driver) with the sizes:
    C: 7.94GB free of 23.4 GB
    E: 15.6GB free of 16.4 GB
    Then, I modified the few lines at the top of clusterservices.txt to refer to E: instead of D:

The installation was successful.

When I reach the next step:

start_local_hdp_services

One services failed, ‘namenode’.

I looked at the logs but I could not figure out why the failure was happening.

I am attaching the log directory for your help.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    2013-10-31 00:00:05,448 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.util.GSet: recommended=4194304, actual=4194304
    2013-10-31 00:00:05,462 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.common.Storage: Storage directory E:\hdp\data\hdfs\nn does not exist
    2013-10-31 00:00:05,464 ERROR org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem: FSNamesystem initialization failed.
    org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.common.InconsistentFSStateException: Directory E:\hdp\data\hdfs\nn is in an inconsistent state: storage directory does not exist or is not accessible.
    at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSImage.recoverTransitionRead
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    THere is only a E:\hdp\data\hdfs\dn directory in that directory.

It will be most helpful if you can tell me what the error was, and where I went wrong.

It seems very frustrating and shameful that I cannot even get the ‘Hello World’ tutorial to work…

Awaiting an early reply,
    Sincerely,

Ciao!
    ~ rajeev joshi (e: rajeev.joshi@izeltech.com) (m: +91.98225.39873)

The forum ‘HDP on Windows – Installation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.