Hortonworks Sandbox Forum

NO DATA – after selecting the Table in the ODBC Excel Menu

Markus F

Hi everyone,

after succefully connecting Excel 2011 on Mac via ODBC to the virtual machine, I can sucessfully select all the tables from the Sandbox.
    But when I try to get data I am always getting “NO DATA SETS OUTPUT” at the bottom, even I am sure there are data sets in the sandbox for this table and the fields are correctly selected (e.g. batting_data.*)

When I try to click directly on “return data”, I am getting a error message:

“[Hortonworks][HiveODBC] (35) Error from Hive: error code: 40000`errorr message: Èrror while compiling statement: FAILED: HiveAccessControlException Permission denied.Principal [name=sandbox, type=USER] does not have following privileges on Object …..

Anyone having the same problem or can help please?

to create new topics or reply. | New User Registration

• Author

I was having the same problem.

Execute this code in Beeswax/Hive:
    grant SELECT on table <table name> to user hue and
    grant SELECT on table <table name> to user sandbox

You must be to reply to this topic. | Create Account

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.