Hortonworks Sandbox Forum

Not able to open url in browser

future brave

I started vmware, HDP was started and gave me the url

I gave the url in browser. I am not able to open. getting error “Problem loading page”. It is not able to locate the url.

What could be the problem. Thanks in advance

to create new topics or reply. | New User Registration

• Author
    Seth Lyubich

Hi Future,

Can you check if your host-only adapter has correct IP assigned? You can try ifconfig command and see what IP it has assigned. It should be something like 192.168.x.x. If you see incorrect IP you can try checking your host-only adaptor configuration.

Hope this helps,

David Vance

We had the same issue. It was solved by:

1. Install the VMWare tools as is described at http://gregcarriger.wordpress.com/2012/05/21/400/.
    2. The IP address provided by the sandbox was not correct. In our case, by typing “ifconfig eth0”, the correct address is revealed in the “inet addr” text. You might also try the address from “ifconfig eth1”.

We use VMware Player version 5.0.1 build-894247.

Good luck!

Hi David,

Thanks for the information on how you solved the issue.

Rupert Bailey

I am running Ubuntu 12.10 host using VmWare 5.0.2 with linux tools installed
    The initial install of the HortonworksVM installed with very strange IP addresses – way off the expected 192.168.1.xxx that my system is on. Naturally my browser on the host did not successfully point to the address. Now the Host-Only adaptor is set for eth0 and with ifconfig used to change it to and eth1 changed to and restarted the VM still says my browser should point to

I’m a bit out of my depth running virtual networking but I assume the Host-Only option on eth0 allows the VM to punch out to my host browser but I’d guest the apache instance on the guest is pointing the wrong direction so I think I need to fix the apache settings. I really hope not, those can be tricky.

Ideas anyone?

Hi Rupert,
    It would probably be best to start a new thread on this. Have you tried using the ip address and 70 to see if you can reach the webpage since that is what seems to the ip?

You must be to reply to this topic. | Create Account

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.