Home Forums Hive / HCatalog ODBC connect to Hive

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Seth Lyubich 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Arnaud Gaillard
    Participant

Hello,

I have installed the latest ODBC driver from this site in 64bits. However I cannot get my windows machine to connect to the hiveserver. I always get a timeout, and this message in the log of the hiverserver:

13/03/28 16:26:37 ERROR server.TThreadPoolServer: Error occurred during processing of message.
    java.lang.RuntimeException: org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransportException
    at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSaslServerTransport$Factory.getTransport(TSaslServerTransport.java:219)
    at org.apache.thrift.server.TThreadPoolServer$WorkerProcess.run(TThreadPoolServer.java:189)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)
    Caused by: org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransportException
    at org.apache.thrift.transport.TIOStreamTransport.read(TIOStreamTransport.java:132)
    at org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransport.readAll(TTransport.java:84)
    at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSaslTransport.receiveSaslMessage(TSaslTransport.java:182)
    at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSaslServerTransport.handleSaslStartMessage(TSaslServerTransport.java:125)
    at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSaslTransport.open(TSaslTransport.java:253)
    at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSaslServerTransport.open(TSaslServerTransport.java:41)
    at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSaslServerTransport$Factory.getTransport(TSaslServerTransport.java:216)
    … 4 more

The parameter from the ODBC are:

Ip address
    hiveserver 2
    No authentication.

I don’t understand the exception raised, it seems to be related to sasl, but this option is set to false in the hive-site.xml.

Any idea on what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

Seth Lyubich
    Keymaster

Hi Arnaud,

Thanks using HDP and letting us know.

Seth

Collapse

Arnaud Gaillard
    Participant

Thanks a lot! Your message triggered the basic check I forgot to carry.

I’m running Hortonworks 1.2.1 on Centos 6.3 and SELinux was causing the problem.

I always forget about checking SELinux status Centos.

Collapse

Seth Lyubich
    Keymaster

Hi Arnaud,

Can you please let us know which HDP version you are using? If you using HDP 1.1 you need to make sure that you configure driver for Hive server 1. Also, Can you please make sure that Hive is working correctly directly in the cluster? Looks like there might be an issue with Thrift server. Is your port 9083 is open? Can you run hive commands without ODBC connection and see if Hive works correctly?

Additionally you need to make sure that Hive server is runnng on port 10000 and port 10000 is not being blocked by firewall, etc.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,
    Seth

Collapse
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)