Home Forums Hortonworks Sandbox Odbc connector working with sandbox 2.0

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Pat Wright 8 months, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Pat Wright
    Participant

I am using Excel 2013 and trying to get connected to Sandbox 2.0 either through the MS odbc connector or the sample connector downloaded from hortonworks. Both give a message that it cannot connect. I’ve gone through this post several times trying the things suggested and nothing I do will allow me to see the hive instance.

http://hortonworks.com/community/forums/topic/netwoking-issue/

When i follow the steps on the excel 2013 tutorial and choose sample dsn I get the message [22] error from Thrifthiveclient: could not resolve host for client socket.

I can get to any of the other web aspects of the sandbox. My firewall is shut off and I still can’t seem to connect to the hive client.

Please advise if there is something else to try

thanks

pat

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

Pat Wright
    Participant

Just for future note in case anyone runs into a similar issue. this ended up being the Authentication on the Odbc driver causing all my problems. I had read in other forums that it’s ok to have anonymous. I had to set this to the Hue user and no password to get it to work properly. This article/post does show how to do it correctly

http://hortonworks.com/hadoop-tutorial/how-to-install-and-configure-the-hortonworks-odbc-driver-on-windows-7/

i had not seen that previously but when i went through that route i didn’t have any issues with the networking side of things.

thanks

pat

Collapse

Dave

Hi Pat,

Are you using the hostname, 127.0.0.1 or the IP on your network in the ODBC connections?
    Also have a look at this post:

http://hortonworks.com/community/forums/topic/tutorial-11-configuring-mac-odbc/

Let me know how you get on,

Thanks

Dave

Collapse

Pat Wright
    Participant

@dave thank you for the response I was using Oracle Virtual box but have started to look into Vmware player.

With the oracle virtual box it must be something for my computer. I had a NAT network adapter and then a Bridged network adapter. The Bridged ip was an ip out on the network. I had a co-worker telnet to that ip on port 10000 and it was able to telnet just fine. But when I do it to that same ip from my own computer i cannot. Firewall is turned off on windows.

I now am trying the vmware player I also set bridged networking here and the same thing. I also checked from a co-worker and they can Telnet to that ip and port.

It seems something from my own computer is stopping me from seeing that port and i’m not sure where to find that or what to change. I’m going to test again in a host only mode to see if that makes any difference.

thanks

pat

Collapse

Dave

Hi Pat,

Are you able to telnet from your machine to the sandbox on the port you are using to reach the Hive Server?
    I know that the NAT setting in VirtualBox using Port mapping – are you using VMWare or Virtual Box?

To get this working I have always used bridged networking (and given the sandbox a real IP on my network) and been able to connect in. However have not had issues on 127 before as long as the ports were mapped correctly.

Thanks

Dave

Collapse
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)