The Hortonworks Community Connection is now live. A completely rebuilt Q&A forum, Knowledge Base, Code Hub and more, backed by the experts in the industry.

You will be redirected here in 10 seconds. If your are not redirected, click here to visit the new site.

The legacy Hortonworks Forum is now closed. You can view a read-only version of the former site by clicking here. The site will be taken offline on January 31,2016

Hive / HCatalog Forum

ODBC error: Invalid sasl status

Steen Paulsen
    Participant

I’m having difficulties with the ODBC driver, both 32-bit and 64-bit.
    When I try to access my Single Node hive (Running HDP 1.3 on Windows Server 2012 in VirtualBox), I get the following error:

Driver Version: V1.2.0.1005

Running connectivity tests…

Attempting connection
    Failed to establish connection
    SQLSTATE: HY000[Hortonworks][Hardy] (34) Error from Hive: invalid sasl status.

TESTS COMPLETED WITH ERROR.

All services seems to be starting and running fine. I am though getting errors when running SmokeTests – “copyFromLocal: `11171´: specified destination directory does not exist”.
    I don’t know if the above has anything to do with it.

I’m connecting to Hive Server 2 on port 10001 with user name “hadoop”. The host computer is running Windows 8 Pro, and the VirtualBox VM is running in Bridget Ethernet mode in order to get its own IP-address.
    Any clues on what could be wrong?

• Author
    Replies
    Venkat Venugopal
    Participant

Hi Steen Paulsen,

Any luck with identifying the solution. I am getting the same error. IF any one can help , kindly do…

Venkat

Venkat Venugopal
    Participant

Sorry forgot to mention the details

Driver Version: V1.0.0.0

Running connectivity tests…

Attempting connection
    Failed to establish connection
    SQLSTATE: HY000[Microsoft][Hardy] (34) Error from Hive: invalid sasl status.

TESTS COMPLETED WITH ERROR.

Port: 10000
    Database: default
    Authentication Mechanism : User Name and Password
    username: hadoop
    password: mk:!uR?t%=ySoB%:;!p0

Eagerly waiting for a reply soon.

Yi Zhang

Hi,

SASL is the authentication part. Have you tried other authentication mechanism? For non-secure cluster, the password is not checked.

Thanks,
    Yi

Venkat Venugopal
    Participant

Finally i was able to solve the connectivity issue, these are my parameters (authentication mechanism and the http path was the change.

Port: 10000
    Database: default
    Authentication Mechanism : Windows Azure HDInsight Emulator
    HTTP Path: http://localhost:50075

Thanks,
    Venkat

The forum ‘Hive / HCatalog’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.