Home Forums Hortonworks Sandbox odbc not showing up in excel 2010

Tagged: 

This topic contains 10 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Daniele 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Mark Malter

I installed the ODBC driver and the test ran successfully, but when I attempt tutorial 8 and open a spreadsheet and go to Data > From other sources > From Microsoft query, there is no ‘Sample Hortonworks Hive DSN* option in the Choose Data Source dialog box.

I’m using Excel 2010. Do I need to update to 2013? Or might there be another problem?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

Daniele
    Participant

Same problem using Office 2010, solved with the installation of the 32 bit ODBC driver! ;)

Collapse

David Chan
    Participant

Yah I found out the issue . You need to have MSoffice Pro 2013 or msoffice pro plus to make this work.
    search the article regarding this in Hortonworks. Its a separate article itself.
    took me a long time to find out.

Collapse

Sriraman S
    Participant

I have the same problem. Hortonworks ODBC not showing up in the data source dialog box.
    Kindly help me.

Collapse

Sree Priyanka Uppu
    Participant

Thanks Bill.
    I followed your advise and now I can see “Sample Hortonworks Hive DSN” in the ODBC sources for Excel

Collapse

Bruno Kelpsas
    Participant

I am having the same issue in Excel 2013. Driver not showing in Excel 2013. Using 64-bit driver. Did ‘Test’ in ‘ODBC Data Source Administrator’ and it was Successful. I am using latest VMWare Player. Please advise….thanks….Bruno

Collapse

David Chan
    Participant

I have almost the same issue with connection with excel.
    I used the name “Sample Hortonworks Hive DSN”
    Currently I am using vmware with hortonwork 2.0 on the linux build
    “dsn contains and architechure mismatch between the driver and application”
    I changed the dsn name to hadoop also still didnt work can you assist with advise on this.
    Thanks

Collapse

Bill Matera
    Participant

I had same problem with using Excel 2010. You need to install the 32-bit driver since Excel 2010 is 32-bit app. Worked fine once I installed it.

Collapse

Deepak Pawar

Hi,
    I have the same issue (however, I am using excel 2007). the connection name does appear in the list when I try to choose the datasource name from excel.
    When I test the connection from ODBC, it was completed successfully.

Thanks for your help.

Collapse

Mark Malter

Hi Ron,
    Still having problems. On my Hortonworks Hive ODBC Driver Setup screen I have:
    Data Source Name: Sample Hortonworks Hive DSN
    Description: Sample Hortonworks Hive DSN
    Database: default
    Hive Server 2 and Mechanism User name
    User Name : Hadoop

In excel, when I go to Data > From other sources > From Microsoft query, in the Choose Data Source dialog box I see only:

dBASE Files*
    Excel Files*
    MS Access Database*

But unlike in your Tutorial 8, I don’t have the “Sample Hortonworks Hive DSN*” option in the ‘Choose Data Source’ dialog box.

Thank you for your help.

Collapse

Ron Lee

Mark,
    Hi! When you created the connection in the ODBC administrator you gave the connection a name. It is at the very top of the dialog box. If you look at the tutorials on setting up ODBC I usually call it Hadoop. The connection name will be what shows up in the list of data sources. If you are still having problems let us know and I can dig up the screenshots for you.

Ron

Collapse
Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)