The Hortonworks Community Connection is now live. A completely rebuilt Q&A forum, Knowledge Base, Code Hub and more, backed by the experts in the industry.

You will be redirected here in 10 seconds. If your are not redirected, click here to visit the new site.

The legacy Hortonworks Forum is now closed. You can view a read-only version of the former site by clicking here. The site will be taken offline on January 31,2016

Hortonworks Sandbox Forum

odbc not showing up in excel 2010

Mark Malter

I installed the ODBC driver and the test ran successfully, but when I attempt tutorial 8 and open a spreadsheet and go to Data > From other sources > From Microsoft query, there is no ‘Sample Hortonworks Hive DSN* option in the Choose Data Source dialog box.

I’m using Excel 2010. Do I need to update to 2013? Or might there be another problem?

• Author
    Replies
    Ron Lee

Mark,
    Hi! When you created the connection in the ODBC administrator you gave the connection a name. It is at the very top of the dialog box. If you look at the tutorials on setting up ODBC I usually call it Hadoop. The connection name will be what shows up in the list of data sources. If you are still having problems let us know and I can dig up the screenshots for you.

Ron

Mark Malter

Hi Ron,
    Still having problems. On my Hortonworks Hive ODBC Driver Setup screen I have:
    Data Source Name: Sample Hortonworks Hive DSN
    Description: Sample Hortonworks Hive DSN
    Database: default
    Hive Server 2 and Mechanism User name
    User Name : Hadoop

In excel, when I go to Data > From other sources > From Microsoft query, in the Choose Data Source dialog box I see only:

dBASE Files*
    Excel Files*
    MS Access Database*

But unlike in your Tutorial 8, I don’t have the “Sample Hortonworks Hive DSN*” option in the ‘Choose Data Source’ dialog box.

Thank you for your help.

Deepak Pawar

Hi,
    I have the same issue (however, I am using excel 2007). the connection name does appear in the list when I try to choose the datasource name from excel.
    When I test the connection from ODBC, it was completed successfully.

Thanks for your help.

Bill Matera
    Participant

I had same problem with using Excel 2010. You need to install the 32-bit driver since Excel 2010 is 32-bit app. Worked fine once I installed it.

David Chan
    Participant

I have almost the same issue with connection with excel.
    I used the name “Sample Hortonworks Hive DSN”
    Currently I am using vmware with hortonwork 2.0 on the linux build
    “dsn contains and architechure mismatch between the driver and application”
    I changed the dsn name to hadoop also still didnt work can you assist with advise on this.
    Thanks

Bruno Kelpsas
    Participant

I am having the same issue in Excel 2013. Driver not showing in Excel 2013. Using 64-bit driver. Did ‘Test’ in ‘ODBC Data Source Administrator’ and it was Successful. I am using latest VMWare Player. Please advise….thanks….Bruno

Sree Priyanka Uppu
    Participant

Thanks Bill.
    I followed your advise and now I can see “Sample Hortonworks Hive DSN” in the ODBC sources for Excel

Sriraman S
    Participant

I have the same problem. Hortonworks ODBC not showing up in the data source dialog box.
    Kindly help me.

David Chan
    Participant

Yah I found out the issue . You need to have MSoffice Pro 2013 or msoffice pro plus to make this work.
    search the article regarding this in Hortonworks. Its a separate article itself.
    took me a long time to find out.

Daniele
    Participant

Same problem using Office 2010, solved with the installation of the 32 bit ODBC driver! 😉

The forum ‘Hortonworks Sandbox’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.