Hi.. Windows 8 user here. I had a similar problem with this but I was able to fix this. Follow these steps it should work:
1. Close the VM VirtualBox if you’re still running it.
2. Open the VirtualBox Manager, Click File-Preferences then Network
3. You should see a Host -only Networks tab there. In the selection panel, select Virtual Host-Only Ethernet Adapter
4. Click on the screwdriver icon and you should the values for the DCHP server settings. Click OK.
5. Navigate back to the VirtualBox manager again, This time click Settings.
6. Under settings click Network, Click on the Adapter 2 tab and Enable Network Adapter. Make sure it’s Attached to the Host -only Adapter. Click OK
7. Boot VM VirtualBox and once you’ve been prompted to login hit Alt + F5 where you’re supposed to login. I believe it’s root for username and hadoop for password.
8. Hit the command ifconfig. You should see the address for eth1. The IP address listed there should be used in the ODBC configuration settings.
You should be good to go from there.