Home Forums Hortonworks Sandbox ODBC on WIndows 8

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Helge Sølvberg 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Helge Sølvberg
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve installed Sandbox 2.0 and that works fine, except setting up ODBC. I’ve followed the tutorial step by step, but it still doesn’t work. Anyone got this to work? Could it be Windows 8 is the problem?

The issue is setting up the ODBC, I can’t seem to get a connection.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

Helge Sølvberg
    Participant

Hi,thanks for the tips, I’ve upgraded to sandbox 2.1, and still get this message:
    Driver Version: V1.4.8.1008

Running connectivity tests…

Attempting connection
    Failed to establish connection
    SQLSTATE: HY000[Hortonworks][HiveODBC] (34) Error from Hive: connect() failed: errno = 10060.

TESTS COMPLETED WITH ERROR.

Collapse

Tunji Akinbami
    Participant

Hi.. Windows 8 user here. I had a similar problem with this but I was able to fix this. Follow these steps it should work:

1. Close the VM VirtualBox if you’re still running it.
    2. Open the VirtualBox Manager, Click File-Preferences then Network
    3. You should see a Host -only Networks tab there. In the selection panel, select Virtual Host-Only Ethernet Adapter
    4. Click on the screwdriver icon and you should the values for the DCHP server settings. Click OK.
    5. Navigate back to the VirtualBox manager again, This time click Settings.
    6. Under settings click Network, Click on the Adapter 2 tab and Enable Network Adapter. Make sure it’s Attached to the Host -only Adapter. Click OK
    7. Boot VM VirtualBox and once you’ve been prompted to login hit Alt + F5 where you’re supposed to login. I believe it’s root for username and hadoop for password.
    8. Hit the command ifconfig. You should see the address for eth1. The IP address listed there should be used in the ODBC configuration settings.
    You should be good to go from there.

Collapse

Balaji Vijayan
    Participant

Hi,

Where can I find the installation instructions for the ODBC connector for Sandbox 2.0? I tried searching both Google and the Hortonworks site and all references point back to Sandbox 1.2 and 1.3. I’m having the same issues as Helge.

In addition the tutorial that is pulling from Github is showing images for configuring VirtualBox on a Mac despite the text indicating that the instructions are for Windows 7. The key difference is VirtualBox in Windows does not have the configuration settings for DHCP that Mac offers. Screenshot: http://screencast.com/t/JH4NFduYgP

All assistance with setting up the ODBC connector for Sandbox 2.0 would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Balaji

Collapse

Helge Sølvberg
    Participant

For the record, I’ve now tried ODBC32-bit, with the same result. I can’t find any use in the errormessage, so any clues would help…

Collapse

Helge Sølvberg
    Participant

Hi,
    I’ve used the tutorial in Sandbox 2.0. I don’t believe the issue is related to Excel, as I never get that far: This is the result from the “Test” in the ODBC Admin tool:

Driver Version: V1.2.13.1018

Running connectivity tests…

Attempting connection
    Failed to establish connection
    SQLSTATE: HY000[Hortonworks][Hardy] (34) Error from Hive: connect() failed: errno = 10060.

Collapse

Cheryle Custer

Hi Helge,

are you using the tutorials from the Website or the tutorials in the Sandbox 2.0? The tutorials on the Website are still for Sandbox 1.3 and some don’t work with 2.0 — specifically the ODBC connector.

Also make sure you’re using the right version of the connector. Excel 2008 and earlier can use only the 32-bit driver.

Collapse
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)