Thank you, I, now, have the ojdbc6 corrrectly loaded and used by sqoop (I write this with much embarassment, was an easy fix).
I, too, ran into the same “connectivity” problems originally reported by Sivagamasundari Veerabahu.
Database connectivity tests:
1. ping and telnet successfully connected to the oracle box and oracle, respectively.
2. even used a test app to prove ojdbc6 successfully connect via ‘jdbc:oracle:thin:@xxx:<port>:<sid>’
1. Oracle JDBC Thin using service name: jdbc:oracle:thin:@//<host>:<port>/<service_name>
2. Oracle JDBC Thin using SID: jdbc:oracle:thin:@<host>:<port>:<SID>
3. Double check database credentials!
NPE is not a very helpful error message, which threw me way off course.
Again thank you,