Home Forums Hortonworks Sandbox Pig Latin Features slide frozen

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Herman Rothberger 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

I ran the first tutorial without any problems. The video at the start of the second tutorial started off fine but then at 1:51 minutes froze. Also I was unable to fast forward the video by dragging the “button” on the bottom of the slide further to the right.

Thanks

Herman

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

Hi Robert

Thanks for your help. I’m fine with going with the link that Ted sent which is consistent with your suggestion.

Hi Sef

I’m a novice when it comes to VM but it seems that Ted has given a few good explanations in his response.

Hi All

I was going thru the other questions and it looks like other people have had a similar problem.

Thanks again

Herman

Collapse

Seth Lyubich
    Keymaster

Hi Herman,

Thanks for letting us know. It is possible that your issue was related to slow VM, or network.

Thanks,
    Seth

Collapse

Hi Ted

Thanks very much for your help and clear explanation. It would be nice if it was all within Sandox but thats minor. I appreciate your help.

Herman

Collapse

tedr

Hi Herman,

What I am suggesting is that when you click on the link inside the sandbox it has to go through the slow route that I mentioned. But when you go through the link I provided it doesn’t go through the sandbox at all, it just goes straight from the web (youtube – where the video is hosted) to your browser which is obviously a significantly faster connection. I am also suggesting that this is not really something that needs to be fixed as we found a way for you to view the video without it freezing for you.

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse

Hi Ted

This is new to me. Are you suggesting that playing the video from Sandbox is using the slow connection route and that by running the youtube link that you sent me I’m avoiding one of the two network cards which means that it will run faster. By the way had the problem when I ran “Apache Pig (running time: about 12 minutes)” from Sandox which is at the beginning of the second tutorial “Apache Pig (running time: about 12 minutes)” .

I can continue to use the link that you sent but I would prefer to run it using the link from Sandbox. I dont want to spend too much of my time trying to fix it and I dont want anyone else to spend too much of their time either.

Thanks

Herman

Collapse

tedr

Hi Herman,

No problem, it happens to me quite a bit. but as far as running the tutorial outside the Sandbox, you can probably run in them in the Sandbox as was evidenced by the fact that you made it through the first tutorial fine, the only issue is that there seems to be a rather slow network connection from YouTube (where the video is hosted) to your Sandbox VM and then out to your host computer. My guess is that this is caused by the deal that the Sandbox uses two network cards, one on host only, and the other on NAT, and to communicate from the web to the browser on your box it has to go from the NAT’d card over to the host only card to get to your browser. This slow connection route causes some problems with streaming video, but should not cause problems with doing the exercises in the tutorial as you’ll be only doing the last part of this hop.

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse

Hi Ted

Sorry. I have a couple of Tim’s on my mind.

Herman

Collapse

Robert
    Participant

Hi Herman,
    Is the problem consistent? A test to help isolate it is if you have another vm on the machine you can try viewing the link in that vm machine to verify if the issue is consistent with your vm’s on your machine. I think its fine to run the tutorial outside of the embedded link of the sandbox page and just continue using the sandbox.

Regards,
    Robert

Collapse

Hi Tim

It worked perfectly plus the problems with the bar at the bottom of the video also worked. So where do we go from here. Do I run the tutorial from outside sandbox? Is there a problem that needs to be fixed?

By the way I didnt copy the URL to the address bar since it fired off once I put my mouse on it.

Thanks

Herman

Collapse

tedr

Hi Herman,

Hmm, it seems that you may be having some sort of networking problems between the sandbox and the internet, try this, copy the following URL into your browser address bar outside of the sandbox and see if you have any better luck.

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse

Hi Ted

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I just tried to run the video again. This time it stopped at 1:57 minutes into the video. The background of the video was gray and the picture was in the foreground. When the video stopped the lower right hand corner of the picture turned gray.

Thanks

Herman

Collapse

tedr

Hi Herman,

Thanks for trying the Hortonworks Sandbox. Does this happen every time you launch the video? The video runs fine for me in my copy of the Sandbox.

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse
Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)