The Hortonworks Community Connection is now live. A completely rebuilt Q&A forum, Knowledge Base, Code Hub and more, backed by the experts in the industry.

You will be redirected here in 10 seconds. If your are not redirected, click here to visit the new site.

The legacy Hortonworks Forum is now closed. You can view a read-only version of the former site by clicking here. The site will be taken offline on January 31,2016

Hortonworks Sandbox Forum

Problems running both 1.3 and 2.0 sandboxes

Apostolos Georgakis
    Participant

I have problem running either of the sandboxes. System: Win 8, Lenovo T430s and the latest Oracle VM. I tried both the 1.3 and 2.0 sandboxes. The error messages (yes plural) are:

(1) Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Hortonworks Sandbox 2.0.
    VT-x is disabled in the BIOS. (VERR_VMX_MSR_VMXON_DISABLED).
    Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
    Component: Console
    Interface: IConsole {8ab7c520-2442-4b66-8d74-4ff1e195d2b6}

(2) This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU.
    Unable to boot – please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU

I get (1) in both 1.3 and 2.0 regardless of the configurations in the BIOS (there are only two options for virtualisation; I have played with different combinations). I get problem (2) when trying to run 1.3 and deactivate Enable I/O APIC from the config of the VM.

Any ideas? I am sure that something is wrong with my system but the question is what?

• Author
    Replies
    iandr413

Hi Apostolos,
    Can you run a test to see if virtualization is enabled? There are public posts out there that point out some of the tools available to check this, try this one –> http://yoyoclouds.wordpress.com/2012/04/25/how-to-check-whether-your-pc-has-virtualization-enabled-or-not/

You may also check this post out and see if it is helpful -> http://hereirestinremorse.wordpress.com/virtualbox/this-kernel-requires-an-x86-64-cpu-but-only-detected-an-i686-cpu-unable-to-boot-please-use-a-kernel-appropriate-for-your-cpu/

I hope this helps.

Ian

Apostolos Georgakis
    Participant

So, according to Intel’s tool virtualization (and Intel’s VT-x) are indeed enabled:

Intel(R) Processor Identification Utility
    Version: 4.80.20131220
    Time Stamp: 2014/02/21 13:04:54
    Operating System: 6.2-9200-
    Number of processors in system: 1
    Current processor: #1
    Active cores per processor: 2
    Disabled cores per processor: 0
    Processor Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3520M CPU @ 2.90GHz
    Type: 0
    Family: 6
    Model: 3A
    Stepping: 9
    Revision: 17
    Maximum CPUID Level: D
    L1 Instruction Cache: 2 x 32 KB
    L1 Data Cache: 2 x 32 KB
    L2 Cache: 2 x 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 4 MB
    Packaging: µPGA/BGA
    Enhanced Intel SpeedStep(R) Technology: Yes
    MMX(TM): Yes
    Intel(R) SSE: Yes
    Intel(R) SSE2: Yes
    Intel(R) SSE3: Yes
    Intel(R) SSE4: Yes
    Intel(R) AES-NI: Yes
    Intel(R) AVX: Yes
    Enhanced Halt State: Yes
    Execute Disable Bit: Yes
    Intel(R) Hyper-Threading Technology: Yes
    Intel(R) 64 Architecture: Yes
    Intel(R) Virtualization Technology: Yes
    Intel(R) VT-x with Extended Page Tables: Yes
    System Graphics: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
    Expected Processor Frequency: 2.90 GHz
    Reported Processor Frequency: 3.39 GHz
    Expected System Bus Frequency: 100 MHz
    Reported System Bus Frequency: 100 MHz

The forum ‘Hortonworks Sandbox’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.