HDP on Linux – Installation Forum

Recommended steps to upgrade HDP services/components with Ambari

What is the recommended way to upgrade HDP components when using Ambari? There has been at least 1 minor release since we created our cluster and our engineering team has requested the latest versions of each component (e.g. Hive).

I’ve seen the instructions for upgrading the Ambari server at http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP1/HDP-1.2.2/bk_using_Ambari_book/content/ambari-chap7.html but I would like to understand how the HDP distribution itself should be upgraded (to not break the Ambari “integration”).

Thanks in advance.

to create new topics or reply. | New User Registration

• Author
    Replies
    Robert
    Participant

Hi Bobby,
    HDP 1.2.2 as you have seen is an ambari only upgrade. I believe the team is working on being able to upgrade the HDP stack as well via Ambari. I will check apache and see if I find any requests for that and see if there is a status.

Regards,
    Robert

Robert
    Participant

Hi Bobby,
    Updating the HDP stack via ambari is a feature that is planned for a future release in the May/June time frame. As of now, since the introduction of Ambari in HDP 1.2.0, there hasn’t been a HDP stack update, but rather just ambari update as described in the link you provided.

Hope that helps.
    Regards,
    Robert

Thanks Robert. I’m being asked to install Hive 0.10.0.22 and our currently installed version (installed as part of HDP 1.2) is 0.10.0.21. I need to figure out where 0.10.0.22 (installed on another cluster; not managed by us) came from ;o)

You must be to reply to this topic. | Create Account

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.