Home Forums HDFS recovering from failed service start

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Robert 1 year, 2 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Erik Nor

I have cleaned up the sqlite data, and shutdown everything manually. So the database and the actual status of the services are in sync. But when I try to start the services, they start successfully, but puppet never gets a response from the client saying so. It eventually times out. Comparing this environment to a working one I noticed it has half as many httpd processes running as puppet and is missing the “Rack: /etc/puppet/rack” process also owned by puppet. I cannot find any documentation on that service or how to start it. Is there some service/process still not running that is not allowing the puppet clients to return their results?

Thanks
    Erik

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

Robert
    Participant

Hi Erik,
    Thanks for the feedback. This should help others who might be facing the issue.

Regards,
    Robert

Collapse

Erik Nor

Finally found the root of the problem. When the cluster was installed and setup the host name was nyr4080101 for the master. At some point an admin made a change to the /etc/resolv.conf file which tacked a .corp.company.com on the end of the hostname when puppet was resolving it. Reverting the resolv.conf and cleaning the ssl certs for puppet eventually got the nodes all talking to each other.

Collapse

tedr

Hi Erik,

Could you post a bit more of the puppet logs?

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse

Erik Nor

yes i can ssh both directions.

Collapse

tedr

Hi Erik,

Can you ssh to the master from the nodes that are giving you trouble?

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse

Erik Nor

They are disabled on all servers. I did notice that in the puppet_apply.log file it references the master server like this;
    Puppet (debug): Processing report from master01.corp.mynetwork.com with processor Puppet::Reports::Store

whereas in the working cluster it references it this way;
    Puppet (debug): Processing report from master01 with processor Puppet::Reports::Store

The hostname and hostname -f both return just master01. They resolve in the hosts file and I added the master01.corp.mynetwork.com entry into the hosts file in thinking that might be the problem since it didn’t resolve without the entry. Even with the entry it still doesn’t report its status to the master.

Collapse

tedr

Hi Erik,

Check to make sure that the firewall and SELinux are still disabled.

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse

Erik Nor

I followed those steps. When starting HDFS from the UI puppet eventually times out starting the NameNode and sets the UI to failed. Checking the server I see that the NameNode successfully started and it looks like puppet tried to report that in its agent logs.

Collapse

Sasha J

Erik,
    In order to run HMC correctly you should have service hmc started on HMC node and service hmc-agent started on all nodes in the cluster.
    Make sure you have it started prior to starting Hadoop services.
    I believe the best for now will be:
    1. stop cluster through the UI
    2. restart all the boxes
    3. start hmc and hmc-agent on the nodes
    4. start Hadoop services using UI

Thank you!
    Sasha

Collapse
Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)