Home Forums Hortonworks Sandbox sanbox not running on 32 bit system

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  tedr 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Dinesh vhatte
    Participant

I have recently downloaded the sandbox for windows7(Hortonworks+Sandbox+1.3+VirtualBox+RC6.ova).
    I have used winrar to extract .ovf and vmdk from it.
    While trying to open the .vmdk file in VirtualBox, it says this kernel requires an x86-64, but detected only an i686 CPU.
    As it is specified, “Now runs on 32-bit and 64-bit OS (Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Mac OSX)”, i wonder what may have gone wrong.
    I am newbie, please provide help.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

tedr

Hi Lokesh,

If you import the Sandbox from the file->import appliance menu in vbox or similar menu item in VMware you should not need to choose the OS for the Sandbox VM it is already chosen for you. If you are trying to run the Sandbox on a computer with a 32bit OS on a 64 bit hardware, you may just need to enable harware virtualization in the bios. If you are trying to run it on a computer that has 32bit hardware, this is not supported, it may be possible to get it to run but performance will be erratic at best.

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse

Thanks Tedr for your valuable support. I will take care of below changes.

@Lokesh : Please check Network Adapter setting at setting button of VirtualBox.
    Check NAT and Host only adapter setting and mange accordingly.

Regards,
    Animesh Hadooper

Collapse

LOKESH CEEBA

My Host OS is Windows 7 and what is the OS we need to choose for GUEST OS. Yes I have the same problems because of 32 bit i686 CPU. What is the network settings we need to use to overcome the error?

Lokesh

Collapse

tedr

Hi Animesh,

If you are on a 64bit hardware box and get startup problems with the Sandbox it may be that you need to enable ‘hardware virtualization’ in your systems bios. This is found in the security area of the bios. The slow start up may also be due to the reduced memory you are using. Your system needs to have at least 4GB RAM for the sandbox to run. Lowering the RAM setting for the sandbox will cause it to run slower if at all.

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse

@Ted / Dinesh
    I was facing the same issue due to old hardware(32 bit). receive the same same i686 CPU error message.
    Action : I was having problem after importing because my console window was giving some error due to adapter setting. Then i have done some changes in Network Adapter setting and decrease my Virtual system RAM due to some warning.
    Effect : My setup get started in next try after clicking the start button. But i’m not getting the final console window with http host address. It status showing running how long do i have to wait..?
    Or is there any exception catch is there..?

Kind Regards,
    Animesh
    Passionate Hadooper.

Collapse

Dinesh vhatte
    Participant

@tedr: No problem tedr, thank you for your support.

Collapse

tedr

Hi Dinesh,

Sorry I was unaware that the 32bit support didn’t mean 32bit hardware. We’ll try and keep you informed if there’s an update that supports 32bit hardware. Aslo the option you mention is the exact one I was trying to point out.

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse

Dinesh vhatte
    Participant

@tedr: there is an option in Oracle Virtual Box to import ova files directly to it. I have used the same option. As mentioned by carter, as I am having underlying 32 bit hardware, I have to quiet my attempts to run it on the 32 bit hardware machine (my laptop). I’ll try it on some other 64 bit hardware machine.
    If updates are available where it is possible to run the sandbox on 32 bit hardware, please let me know.

Collapse

Dinesh vhatte
    Participant

@Carter: Yes I have underlying 32 bit hardware and 32 bit OS installed on it.

Collapse

Carter Shanklin
    Participant

Dinesh,

The support is for 32 bit OSes that are running on underlying 64 bit hardware. Some people have these sorts of systems due to their IT departments giving them older operating systems on newer hardware. But the sandbox requires 64 bit underlying hardware. Based on the error message I think you have 32 bit hardware.

Also instead of extracting the file you can just import it directly, as Ted mentioned.

Collapse

tedr

Hi Dinesh,

How did you try import the file directly, did you try to double click on the .ova file? did you use the ‘file->import appliance’ menu item? or …?

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse

Dinesh vhatte
    Participant

@Ted: when I try importing ova directly, that’s not allowed with the Oracle Virtual Box and thus gives some error. And trying to open the ova with vmplayer, the vmplayer hangs.
    @Toru: I am not sure if this option is there in the settings of Oracle Virtual Box. Let me check again

Thank you for your response

Collapse

Toru Suzuki
    Participant

You shoud be check VM configuration.

The setting of the “Guest Operating System”, you must change to “Other(64-bit)” from “Other(32-bit)”.

Collapse

tedr

Hi Dinesh,

Have you tried to just import the ova directly rather than extracting the files and opening them?

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse
Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)