Home Forums Hortonworks Sandbox Sandbox 1.3 — HyperV Support, better Vbox support, 32-bit OS

This topic contains 18 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Padma Ch 5 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Cheryle Custer

Sandbox 1.3 was released yesterday and includes the following new features:

1) Enhanced Virtualization support:
    - HyperV Support. Running Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012 with a system that is enabled with virtualization support, the new Sandbox will support it
    - 32-bit Operating System Support. Have a Windows machine with a 32-bit OS? We’ve enabled the VirtualBox image to run on a 32-bit OS — including Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows XP. The Sandbox still requires 4Gb of RAM and requires virtualization enabled on the BIOS but you should be able to run the Sandbox on these environments.
    Improved VirtualBox implementation.
    – The VirtualBox implementation has been modified so that the set up and installation is much easier. You no longer have to configure two network adapters. Simply accept the default settings when you import the appliance.

2) User Experience Improvements: Visualization and Better Data Import:
    We continue to improve the Sandbox user experience.

– With this release, we provide some basic visualizations for your Hive queries built in to the Sandbox. You can access this functionality the Hive interface, after you have run your query. You’ll see a new tab called “Visualizations”. This new feature will help ensure that your basic queries are correct before you surface your Sandbox data in other tools.
    — When importing data into the Sandbox, the column type (string, float, etc.) and delimiter type are auto-detected. You can always over-ride the default values.

3) Based on HDP 1.3
    Hortonworks Data Platform 1.3

A new release of the Hortonworks Sandbox will always follow the new release of the Hortonworks Data Platform (HDP). A few weeks ago, we released the Hortonworks Data Platform 1.3 and you can read about it here. This includes our belief in relentless march of community-driven open source as the fastest path to innovation and our contributions to speeding Hadoop queries through our improvements to Hive 0.11, SQL-in-Hadoop, also known as the Stinger Initiative, which offers a 50x improvement in performance for queries.

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

Padma Ch
    Participant

Hi, I have downloaded virtual box 4.3.0 and imported the sandbox HDP 2.0 Beta on the Virtual box. My host operating system is Windows 8 (64 bit). While setting the preferences under Network, i have the default Host-only Network as ‘VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter’ and how could we say that DHCP server is enabled? Is it required to enable DHCP server…?
    I left the default options and when i started the sandbox 2.0 beta, i could see the web console address as http://127.0.0.1:8888. But i am unable to browse it.
    Also, when i launch the sand box i see CentOs is booted. i really couldn’t understand why CentOS is booted and when i launch virtual machine (Alt+F5), i am seeing that linux terminal. I expect to launch windows cmd prompt….

Collapse

Padma Ch
    Participant

Hi, I have downloaded virtual box 4.3.0 and imported the sandbox HDP 2.0 Beta on the Virtual box. My host operating system is Windows 8 (64 bit). While setting the preferences under Network, i have the default Host-only Network as ‘VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter’ and how could we say that DHCP server is enabled? Is it required to enable DHCP server…?
    I left the default options and when i started the sandbox 2.0 beta, i could see the web console address as http://127.0.0.1:8888. But i am unable to browse it.
    Also, when i launch the sand box i see CentOs is booted. i really couldn’t understand why CentOS is booted and when i launch virtual machine (Alt+F5), i am seeing that linux terminal. I expect to launch windows cmd prompt….

Collapse

tedr

Hi Akbar,

Is the hardware of the box you installed the Sandbox on 32bit or 64bit. If the hardware is 32 bit then that is the problem. the Sandbox is supported on 32bit OSes on 64bit hoardware, it is not supported on 32bit hardware.

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse

akbar shaik

Hi,

I have installed the sandbox in my laptop having configuration of windows7 service pack 1, 32 bit and 4GB RAM, some time it crashes out the windows.

Is anybody experiencing similar issues?

Could you please help me on this?

Thanks,
    Akbar

Collapse

Cheryle Custer

Hi Daniel,

Please review Tutorial 6 — Loading Data into the Hortonworks Sandbox. As well, there are other methods covered in the basic tutorials 3-5.

thanks,

Cheryle

Collapse

I have sandbox 1.3 working on Win8 with HyperV and I can connect to it with a browser. What I don’t see how to do is how to access the disk in the sandbox VM from the host machine to load files into it. Is there a way to do that?

Thanks

Collapse

Thank you Dan, that fixed it.

Collapse

Dan Rosanova

David’s comment about changing the virtual switch IP worked great.
    Navigate to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections
    Right click vEthernet (Sandbox Network) click Properties
    Highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click Properties
    And you can change the static IP at the top

Collapse

My previous message on not being able to connect to 192.168.56.101 was done using Win8/HyperV. Any hints on getting this working would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dan

Collapse

I am also unable to browse to 192.168.56.101 which the console says is the web page address I should use. I see David solved this by changing the default gateway in the VM to 192.168.56.1 How do I do this?

Thanks,
    Dan

Collapse

tedr

Hi David,

Thanks for letting us know that you are up and running now.

Ted.

Collapse

David Turnbull
    Participant

Re: Resolution to my problem connecting to the web console when using Hyper V

I’ve been able to resolve this problem by changing the IP address assigned to the Virtual Switch network connection. When created, it seems to default to 192.168.127.1, whereas the default gateway within the VM is 192.168.56.1.

As it seemed easier, I changed the IP address of the Virtual Switch connection to match the VM gateway.

David

Collapse

David Turnbull
    Participant

Running on a Windows 8 laptop, for the Hyper V version of Sandbox 1.3
    I have not been able to connect to the VM web interface at 192.168.56.101. It times out.
    I created the Virtual Switch as an internal connection, and changed the network share settings as per the pdf.

I had previously run Sandox 1.2 with Virtualbox. Out of concerns that there was an incompatibility, I uninstalled Virtualbox and an old copy of VMPlayer, rebooted, etc., but the problem persists.

During the final moments of boot, there are messages that the ipc.Client is having to retry the connection to 192.168.56.101 several times, but it eventually seems to get it. It also appears that the VM is trying to reach github at some points (perhaps to get tutorials?), which I don’t think would work with an internal connection?

I’d prefer to keep the Virtual Switch as internal if this can work

Has anyone else run into this issue (and hopefully solved it)?

David

Collapse

tedr

Hi Oleksii,

Ok we’ll work on getting these changes into the doc.

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse

>> – The VirtualBox implementation has been modified so that the set up and installation is much easier. You no longer
    >> have to configure two network adapters. Simply accept the default settings when you import the appliance.

Can you update http://hortonworks.com/wp-content/uploads/unversioned/pdfs/InstallingHortonworksSandbox1_3MacUsingVB.pdf to reflect 1.3 changes please?

When my vm finishes loading It prints 127.0.0.1 as it’s IP address on the welcome screen in Virtual Box. The document above still shows 192.168.56.101 bridged IP from 1.2 on page 9.
    I think it makes sense to include root user credentials and network setup (port forwarding for ssh, mysql, hdfs, etc) into the documentation.

thanks!

Collapse

Navin Ladda

Hi Ted,

I finally succeeded downloading using Orbit Download Manager and was able to install the Appliance file under Virtual Box. Off to playing with Hadoop now !!

Collapse

tedr

Hi Navin,

Thanks for trying to get the Hortonworks Sandbox, Sorry to hear you are unable to download it fully with your browser. I am trying to see if we have another method for you to get it. Will post here again when I find one.

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse

Navin Ladda

Any suggestions on how to download the 1.8 GB Virtualbox applicance file. Since yesterday, I have tried multiple times using Chrome, Firefox and IE and all of them never fully download the file. The closest I got was one 1.6 GB. Any recommendations on ways other than browser to download the Sandbox file.

Collapse
Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)