Sandbox 1.3 — HyperV Support, better Vbox support, 32-bit OS
Sandbox 1.3 was released yesterday and includes the following new features:
1) Enhanced Virtualization support:
- HyperV Support. Running Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012 with a system that is enabled with virtualization support, the new Sandbox will support it
- 32-bit Operating System Support. Have a Windows machine with a 32-bit OS? We’ve enabled the VirtualBox image to run on a 32-bit OS — including Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows XP. The Sandbox still requires 4Gb of RAM and requires virtualization enabled on the BIOS but you should be able to run the Sandbox on these environments.
Improved VirtualBox implementation.
– The VirtualBox implementation has been modified so that the set up and installation is much easier. You no longer have to configure two network adapters. Simply accept the default settings when you import the appliance.
2) User Experience Improvements: Visualization and Better Data Import:
We continue to improve the Sandbox user experience.
– With this release, we provide some basic visualizations for your Hive queries built in to the Sandbox. You can access this functionality the Hive interface, after you have run your query. You’ll see a new tab called “Visualizations”. This new feature will help ensure that your basic queries are correct before you surface your Sandbox data in other tools.
— When importing data into the Sandbox, the column type (string, float, etc.) and delimiter type are auto-detected. You can always over-ride the default values.
3) Based on HDP 1.3
Hortonworks Data Platform 1.3
A new release of the Hortonworks Sandbox will always follow the new release of the Hortonworks Data Platform (HDP). A few weeks ago, we released the Hortonworks Data Platform 1.3 and you can read about it here. This includes our belief in relentless march of community-driven open source as the fastest path to innovation and our contributions to speeding Hadoop queries through our improvements to Hive 0.11, SQL-in-Hadoop, also known as the Stinger Initiative, which offers a 50x improvement in performance for queries.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.