Home Forums Hortonworks Sandbox Sandbox 2.1 32-bit ODBC Error

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Markus F 7 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Marc Sardello
    Participant

Installed Sandbox 2.1 and followed the tutorial to install the ODBC driver. Configured per the tutorial with user hue and no password. In my application I am using to connect, I am able to test the connection successfully, and also see the tables and fields. When I try to pull data though, I get the following error:

ERROR [HY000] [Hortonworks] [HiveODBC] (35) Error from Hive: error code: ‘40000’ error message: ‘Error while compiling statement: FAILED: HiveAccessControlException Permission denied. Principal [name=hue, type=USER] does not have the following privileges on Object [type=TABLE_OR_VIEW, name=default.sample_07]: [SELECT]‘.
    I’ve seen a similar post or two with no responses. Anybody have any ideas on this one?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Regards,
    Marc

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

Markus F
    Participant

I have also checked /etc. There are .pipeout file written in /tmp/hive/ for hive logs after trying to retrieve the data from the table.

Collapse

Markus F
    Participant

I have the same problem. but even when trying

grant SELECT on table <table name> to user hue

I am not able to get data.

For the password combinations. Do I need to change also the UID in the .odbc.ini file to a certain username? Now it is set to “hue”.
    I also tried the password-combinations in the ODBC connection:

Username/login: hive/hive, root/hadoop, hive/blank, hadoop/blank, sandbox/blank

Also …it doesnt matter which password combination I chose, I will see the tables and the fields of the tables. But I am not able to retrieve data.
    The ODBC driver runs on a mac.

Collapse

Marc Sardello
    Participant

I was able to resolve this issue this morning by going in and grating permissions to hue for the specific table. Using Hive… input:

grant SELECT on table <table name> to user hue

Not sure why this is necessary, but it appears to work.

Thanks,
    Marc

Collapse

Dave

Hi Marc,

Can you try connecting to hive server and/or hiveserver2 directly? (And not to your application?)
    Let me know if this works as it could be that your application is having the issue (from the sounds of things)
    If the driver was not working – then you would not be able to browse, modify etc.

Thanks

Dave

Collapse

Dave

Hi Marc,

Can you try connecting to hive server and/or hiveserver2 directly? (And not to your application?)
    Let me know if this works as it could be that your application is having the issue (from the sounds of things)
    If the driver was not working – then you would not be able to browse, modify etc.

Thanks

Dave

Collapse

Marc Sardello
    Participant

Neither root / hadoop or hive / hive seem to work either. From the application I am using to connect, I can actually select my DSN, and test the connection successfully. Next, I am able to browse tables and modify a query if needed. But, then when I save this back to my application… essentially executing the pull, I get this same error message.

Marc

Collapse

Dave

Hi Marc,

As discussed, try using root / hadoop and hive / hive
    Also look in /var/log/messages to see if you can see if the connection is coming in, and check in /tmp/hive/ for hive logs which may show the connection.

Thanks

Dave

Collapse
Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)