Home Forums Hortonworks Sandbox Sandbox 2.1 ODBC Not Working

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Pushker Sahai 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Blair Krotenko
    Participant

I have created an ODBC connection to the Sandbox 2.1 but I am not able to pull any data. The error I get is “ODBC–call failed. [Hortonworks][HiveODBC] [35] Error from Hive: error code: ‘40000’ error message: ‘Error while compiling statement: FAILED: HiveAccessControlException Permission denied. Principal [name=hue, type=USER] does not have following privileges on Object [type=TABLE_OR_VIEW, name=<table name>]: [SELECT]‘, [#35]”

This works when I use the same setup to connect to the Sandbox 2.0, I have used it many times for moving data, mostly to MS Access.

I have tried different user names in the ODBC connection such as root, hdfs, and hadoop. I have tried various permissions on the table itself using table>view>view file location>change permissions. These did not solve it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

Pushker Sahai
    Participant

I am also having this issue. Whenever I try to view the data on excel 2011 on mac I see message “no records returned”. I have already given grant to “hue”. Thanks.

Collapse

Blair Krotenko
    Participant

Thanks for the responses, it looks like the issue is resolved.

Collapse

Paul Hargis
    Participant

Resolved for me by adding new GRANT permission (as others said in this post):

1) Logged into Sandbox VM (ssh root@127.0.0.1 -p 2222)
    2) Launched hive (hive)
    3) Add new GRANT permission to hue (grant SELECT on table tweetsbi to user hue ;)
    4) Re-tried access to tweetsbi table from Excel — WORKS!

Collapse

Rajesh Toleti
    Participant

The following worked for me on sandbox 2.1
    grant SELECT on table webloganalytics to user hue

Collapse

Marc Sardello
    Participant

I was able to resolve this issue this morning by going in and grating permissions to hue for the specific table. Using Hive… input:

grant SELECT on table <table name> to user hue

Not sure why this is necessary, but it appears to work.

Thanks,
    Marc

Collapse

Dave

Hi Blair,

Did you try with a different username (root / hadoop?) And did you check the hive logs to see if you were hitting the server?

Thanks

Dave

Collapse

Blair Krotenko
    Participant

This is still not resolved. Any help would be appreciated.

Collapse

Marc Sardello
    Participant

I’m experiencing the exact same problem. Any suggestions? Were you able to resolve this?

Thanks!

Collapse

Jojo Thomas
    Participant

Have you got this resolved? I am getting the same error.

Collapse
Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)