Home Forums Hortonworks Sandbox Sandbox and RStudio Server

Tagged: 

This topic contains 15 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  James Solderitsch 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

I managed to install R and R Studio Server into the sandbox with the intent of eventually installing the rmr2 library that enables R to define and run MapReduce jobs.

The URL for the server is active, and you need to enter user and password in a login screen. I can’t use root as the user, and I guessed that perhaps there is a valid user named sandbox for the sandbox but maybe I am wrong. What user (not root) exists that I can login as? Do do I as root make a new user, user directory etc. This an OS user, not a hadoop user.

Suggestions appreciated.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

I made the link to the original blog, that does cover steps for Cloudera, to be explicitly shown rather than hiding it in the word “here” as I had done previously.

Collapse

My exposition is based on one (linked to in my post) that used Cloudera. My mention of Cloudera refers to the original blog. I will see if the wording can be improved to make this clear.

Collapse

Cheryle Custer

Nice! Thanks for sharing the blog post. Could you update it to say that it’s the Hortonworks Sandbox VM?? The first sentence says that it’s a Cloudera VM… ;-)

Collapse

I documented my steps to insert R, RStudio Server and the RHadoop R package in blog post here:

http://jsolderitsch.wordpress.com/hortonworks-sandbox-r-and-rstudio-install/

Collapse

tedr

Hi Mur,

It’s good to hear that you were able to get R installed.

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse

Mur Raguthu

Thanks James. I was able to install RStudio and working towards my POC. Great help and I appreciate for your contribution to the team.

Collapse

I did not do any of the steps relating to updating VirtualBox. I am using VMware player and after importing the Sandbox initially, I have not done any customization of it. All of the steps up to step 8 are about the customization of the VM assuming you are using VirtualBox– you should be able to ignore them — I did!

So you should be able to start at step 8:

8. Installation of R
    First add the EPEL repository, then install git, wget and R.

From there on things should work. I used putty to ssh into the Sandbox to execute these steps. You want to change the password of the user sandbox as Sasha describes earlier in this thread.

Jim

Collapse

Mur Raguthu

James I am trying to install R and R studio on my VM Player (sandbox). I got stuck at step. $ sudo bash is not working in my VM..I am not expert in VMs. Please help..

Run console
    Switch to root user:
    $ sudo bash
    Update linux kernel:
    $ yum install kernel -y
    Reboot
    Run console
    Open internet browser (Firefox) and download the following file (link below):

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/18259813/dir/scientific_linux_6/com/kernel-devel-2.6.32-220.23.1.el6.x86_64.rpm.html

Click on link for file: kernel-devel-2.6.32-220.23.1.el6.x86_64.rpm
    Download and save file to folder ‘Downloads’ under ‘home/cloudera’ (Either create new folder using ‘Save’ dialog box or use console: mkdir /home/cloudera/Downloads

Collapse

Larry Liu

Hi, James

Thanks for letting us know.

please let us know if you have any other questions.

Larry

Collapse

Yes, thanks for asking.

I was successful and I recall posting about this to a forum thread here but I guess not this one. I just changed the password of the sandbox user since I did not know what it was (thanks to Sasha for the tip) and then I could follow the instructions I found for the Cloudera VM.

Works well.

Jim

Collapse

Cheryle Custer

Hi James,

Were you successful in getting R up and running on the Sandbox?

Collapse

Thanks Sasha,

I thought of doing that but was afraid to do so thinking I might break things. I will do this now. I will also add this user as a member of the sudoers group as well.

Jim

Collapse

Sasha J

James
    I do not know what is the default password for user “sandbox”, but you can change it to something your own, ind all things continue to work normally.
    Just login to sandbox as root and do “passwd sandbox”.

Thank you!
    Sasha

Collapse

I created a new user in the VM (rstudiouser) and gave that user a password. I could then authenticate as that user in the RStudio dialog. Success!. But the new user is not an HDFS user and the Hue interface is set to only login the sandbox user.

So, can I login to the tutorial UI as another user? Hue as configured in other hadoop distro’s has a user administration pane. This is not available with the sandbox.

Perhaps the easiest route to success is for someone to tell us what password the sandbox user has.

I did all of the installations by following the spirit of the advice given here: http://blogr-cs.blogspot.com/2012/12/integration-of-r-rstudio-and-hadoop-in.html

I ignored the VirtualBox config steps at the beginning. This blog used a Cloudera VM as the foundation but the sandbox seems fine. I even was able to run the hello world Big Data example at the bottom of the blog.

But to use the File Browser, I need to be logged as a recognized hadoop user, not this ad hoc user I created.

Looking for guidance.

Collapse

I need the password for this user if one exists.

Collapse
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)