Home Forums Hortonworks Sandbox Sandbox video Introducing Apache Video not working

Tagged: 

This topic contains 16 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  tedr 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Shiva Bonala

I’m trying to watch “Introducing Apache Video” on sandbox but it is getting disconnected in 1 or 2 minutes. I was not able to watch the complete video. Does anyone have the same issue?

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

tedr

Hi Mike,

Thanks for providing these instructions, just one minor correction – the Sandbox is a CentOS vm not an Ubuntu VM.

Ted.

Collapse

Mike Aro

UPDATED: Transferring sandbox-tutorial videos to Mac OS X from Ubuntu virtual box

1. Find the ip address of the mac using ifconfig command on the terminal
    dyn172-30-52-182:Documents maro$ ifconfig
    use address for interface (en0): will show the ip address (inet x.x.x.x) of the mac (e.g. 192.168.0.102)

2. login to the virtual box and change directory
    cd /home/sandbox/sandbox-tutorials/local

There are files with .mp4 extension

3. Enable remote login on mac
    Go to “System Preferences” –> “Sharing” and make sure the checkbox next to “Remote login” is marked.

4. on the command line, type
    root@sandbox#: scp -r *mp4 your-username-on-mac@your-ip-address-on-mac-as-explained-earlier:/output-directory-on-mac
    e.g. scp -r *mp4 haro@192.1680.102:/Users/haro/Documents/

ref: http://drewsymo.com/how-to/remotely-transfer-files-via-ssh-using-scp-in-linux-with-examples

5. Enter password for the username (in this example, the password for user ‘haro’)

6. Disable Remote login

Collapse

Mike Aro

Transferring sandbox-tutorial videos to Mac OS X from Ubuntu virtual box

use address for interface (en0): will show the ip address (inet x.x.x.x) of the mac

3. on the command line, type
    scp -r *mp4 your-username-on-mac@your-ip-address-on-mac-as-explained-earlier:/output-directory-on-mac

ref: http://drewsymo.com/how-to/remotely-transfer-files-via-ssh-using-scp-in-linux-with-examples

4. Enter password on mac

Collapse

Mike Aro

use address for interface (en0): will show the ip address (inet x.x.x.x) of the mac

scp -r *mp4 @:/

4. Enter password on mac

Collapse

Mike Aro

scp -r *mp4 @:/

4. Enter password on mac

Collapse

tedr

Hi Vaidya and Armondo,

Thanks for the information but whether this will work or not depends on the version of the sandbox, it will work in the latest version. This latest version had the word “bombardier” in the name of the download. If you downloaded a version previous to this then the videos are hosted on a YouTube channel and method Number one is all that will work.

Thanks for using the Sandbox,
    Ted.

Collapse

Armando Benitez
    Participant

another alternative is to copy the files out from the sandbox VM using scp.

login as root, go to /home/sanbox/sandbox-tutorials/locals/
    In that directory you will find all the videos, you can do scp to another machine you have acces to, something like
    scp -r *mp4 username@machine:/target/outputdir

Armando

Collapse

Shiva Bonala

Hi Sasha & Vaidya,

I will try your instructions.Thanks for the information.

Shiva.

Collapse

Robert
    Participant

Hi Vaidya,
    Thanks for the information.

Regards,
    Robert

Collapse

Vaidya Bala

Hi

I had the same problem. Solved it by copying the vidoes to my windows Host machine from the sandbox. This is how I did it.

Note : I use Virtualbox typically at home. So I downloaded the virtualbox vm image. This process is tested and works for VIrtualBox. I think it shoud be very similar VMPlayer version also. Definitely the centos commands/processes are common to both.

a) Ensure that the first network card in the VM settings is setup as bridged to your host nettwork adapter. I tried it with NAT but did not work as the ip address for host network card and the virtual card inside the VM is different.

b) Start your Hortonworks VirtualMachine

c) Once it boots, on the console window press ALT+F2. Login in using root in the login prompt. Password is hadoop.

d) Change the password for the user sandbox (as I could not find the default password anywhere). if you know the password this step can be skipped.
    passwd sandbox
    New Password :
    Re-type New Password:

e) at # prompt, type ifconfig. There should be 3 network cards listed, eth0, eth1, lo.
    – eth0 –>bridged network adapter with your host network. the ip address should be in the same subnet as your host windows machine. On windows host, type cmd, ipconfig to find the IP address. On the hortonworks vm, eth0 should have same set of numbers for the first 3 groups. xxx.xxx.xxx (should be same)
    – eth1 –> host-only adapter with the address that you type on browser (eg. 192.168.56.101)
    – lo –> Local Loopback 127.0.0.1

f) once you verified the ip address, you have to install vsftpd to allow ftp from host to your vm. The process is described in detail in the following URL. This has instructions to install vsftpd and ftp packages You don’t need to create additional user id or turn off SELINUX. SELINUX turned off by defualt in Hortonworks VM image.

http://ostechnix.wordpress.com/2013/01/28/setup-ftp-server-step-by-step-in-centos-6-x-rhel-6-x-scientific-linux-6-x/

f) on your host machine (windows in my case) . get to command prompt
    cd some_directory (directory where you want the videos to be copied). In my case C:\Users\user_name\Videos\hadoop

g) type ftp xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address you found out for eth0 in step E. Remember, don’t use FTP 192.168.56.101 (or the ip assigned to your hostonly eth1 adapter). This does not work due to firewall on either sides.

h) on FTP > prompt, type the following
    user sandbox
    enter password

ftp> cd /home/sandbox/sandbox-tutorials/local
    ftp> binary
    ftp> mget *.mp4
    ftp> bye

i) launch the vidoes on your host computer using your favorite media player.

Enjoy!

Collapse

Sasha J

Hi Shiva,

A trick that has solved this bit for others is to grab the link for the video that you are trying to watch from the sandbox, then enter this link directly in your browser and thus bypass a possibly slow/shaky network route that goes through the sandbox. If you need help on exactly how to do this, or I haven’t made myself clear, let me know.

Thanks,
    Sasha.

Collapse

Hi Shiva

Are you referring to the “Apache Pig (running time: about 12 minutes)” link at the beginning of teh second tutorial?

Herman

Collapse

Shiva Bonala

Hi Cheryle,

I am using VirtualBox 4.2.10 for Windows hosts x86/amd64 on windows 8 operating system.

Thanks,
    Shiva.

Collapse

Cheryle Custer

Thanks Shiva. Sorry, one more question: which virtualization platform are you using? VMware or VirtualBox? And is it on Windows or Mac?

Collapse

Shiva Bonala

Hi Cheryle,

Please see my answers below:

What version of Sandbox are you using? Sandbox+HDP+Bombardier2+(14.03)
    What browser are you using? Google Chrome Version 25.0.1364.172 m
    Did you download the Sandbox prior to March 15? No, I downloaded it on March 22.

I don’t have any issues watching other videos.

Thanks for your help,
    Shiva.

Collapse

Cheryle Custer

Hi Shiva,
    I’m sorry you’re having issues. Can you tell me the following:

What version of Sandbox are you using?
    What browser are you using?
    Did you download the Sandbox prior to March 15?

Cheryle

Collapse
Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)