Home Forums Hive / HCatalog Serengeti 0.7.0 with HDP 1.1 – hive-0.9.0.16 issue

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  tedr 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Hi,

I’m having an issue with using HDP 1.1 with Serengeti 0.7.0.
    I created a custom distro entry on Serengeti and it startups and configures a cluster just fine, but it doesn’t allow me to connect with the hive server running on the client instance using an 64 bit ODBC driver.
    Trying to determine what might be wrong – I’m new to Hadoop so please bear with me.

I also posted up on Serengeti’s Google Community forum where the conf files are.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/serengeti-user/RAPW9wowQHs

Thank you,

-dh-

hive-thrift is running
    /var/log/hive/ shows the following
    Starting Hive Thrift Server
    WARNING: org.apache.hadoop.metrics.jvm.EventCounter is deprecated. Please use org.apache.hadoop.log.metrics.EventCounter in all the log4j.properties files.

error on Hortonworks 64 bit ODBC Client on Windows 7 64 bit shows -
    Driver Version: V1.0.0.1009

Running connectivity tests…

Attempting connection
    Failed to establish connection
    SQLSTATE: HY000[Hortonworks][Hardy] (22) Error from ThriftHiveClient: Unknown: errno = 10053

TESTS COMPLETED WITH ERROR.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

tedr

Daiyu,

I noticed a couple of things here: 1, the error you are getting indicates the connection was aborted due to a timeout. Which could be due to the second thing I’ve noticed wich is that in HDP the hive thrift server usually listens on port 9083. You can verify the port number on which it is listening by ssh’ing into the box that is running the hive thrift server and running the command ‘netstat -anp | grep ‘LISTEN ‘ . Then look for either 10000 or 9083 in the output.

Ted.

Collapse

Well I’m getting this error when setting up the ODBC connection in the ODBC manager on the Windows Client.
    I’m using the test button to check the connection.
    I’m using the ip address of the hive server and port 10000.
    I would like to determine if there is something blocking the port on the VM.
    I’ve connected to another cluster running a different distro using the MapR odbc connection, but would prefer using Hortonworks if possible due to your partnership with Microsoft.

Collapse

tedr

Daiyu,

Ok, then, with that in mind I need to understand what you are trying to connect to hive with/via on the windows side. I.e., are you trying to connect to hive through Excel. Access or ? If you are just trying to bring up a hive command line on the windows box, so that you can send a hive command or two, then the best way would be to ssh (using putty or similar) to the node with the hive server on it and call up hive in that shell.

Ted.

Collapse

no – using serengeti from VMware – its a Vapp that allows you to deploy a Hadoop cluster – they have an option to deploy an alternative distro like Hortonworks.

http://serengeti.cloudfoundry.com/

The guest vms is running centos 5 – I believe – 2.6.18-238.19.1.el5
    It deploys 3 worker node – 1 master node – 1 client node (hive server)

from a windows 7 pc I’m trying to connect to the hive server on the client node.

Collapse

tedr

Daiyu,

Are you trying to install HDP1.1 on Windows?

Ted.

Collapse
Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)