Hortonworks Sandbox Forum

Setting up a Shared Folder Windows/Linux

Greg Watson

I’ve set up a shared folder through the VM settings on the Windows side (in my case Windows 7). How do you make this shared folder accessible on the Linux VM side, so you can copy files into the directory on Windows and access them on Linux?

to create new topics or reply. | New User Registration

• Author
    Replies
    runeetv

Which VM application are you using? It depends on the VM. For example, with virtualbox, here are the instructions: http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html#sharedfolders

Greg Watson

Thanks for the reply and link. I’m using VMware Player.
    I’ll give the steps in the instructions a try and reply back.

Greg Watson

Well, I tried the instructions as follows on Linux, using VMware player, and logged in as root:

1) mkdir SharedFolder in /mnt
    2) chmod 777 /mnt/SharedFolder
    3) mount -t vboxsf SharedFolder /mnt/SharedFolder

And received this error:
    mount: unknown filesystem type ‘vboxsf’

Greg Watson

Thanks for the continued feedback. When I tried mount -t vmhgfs .host:/foo/bar /var/lib/bar, I also receive an unknown filesystem type ‘vmhgfs’ error.

Dave

Hi Greg,

Have you installed VMware tools?
    You can always use a program like WinSCP and drag the files you want to move to the VM using that.

Thanks

Dave

Greg Watson

Dave,

I made a CD of VMware tools and tried to installing it using the VMware player GUI pull-down menu, but I received a could not find CD-ROM device type of error. I found this page: http://wiki.nikoforge.org/VMWare_Tools_Installation_on_CentOS
    Would these be the instructions to follow to install VMware tools using VMware player?

Thanks,

Greg

Dave

Hi Greg,

Yes you should follow these instructions.
    Otherwise as I said before, it may be easier to just use a SFTP program

Thanks

Dave

Greg Watson

Dave,

I followed the instructions on this page:
    http://wiki.nikoforge.org/VMWare_Tools_Installation_on_CentOS
    …and they worked…and when I run this command vmware-hgfsclient in the Linux VM,
    I get the correct location of the shared folder on Windows…but…in addition to this, it looks like
    a vmware-config-tools.pl script is supposed to be run. I can’t seem to locate this script after the install.
    Can this script be downloaded elsewhere (or should it be?)?

Thanks,

Greg

Greg Watson

Dave,

I followed the instructions on this page:
    http://wiki.nikoforge.org/VMWare_Tools_Installation_on_CentOS
    …and they worked…and when I run this command vmware-hgfsclient in the Linux VM,
    I get the correct location of the shared folder on Windows…but…in addition to this, it looks like
    a vmware-config-tools.pl script is supposed to be run. I can’t seem to locate this script after the install.
    Can this script be downloaded elsewhere (or should it be?)?

Thanks,

Greg

You must be to reply to this topic. | Create Account

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.