Home Forums Hortonworks Sandbox shell login passwords

This topic contains 16 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Geeta Patil 1 year, 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic

If you want to login to the VM’s shell what account/password do you use?

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

Geeta Patil

hi,

i have been trying to login to access user directory or bin directory in sanbox window logged in with root/hadoop. then i wanted to use pig user and by using the command su – pig -c “hadoop fs -ls /” my sandbox window says user pig doesn’t exist.

could you let me know how can i login to user pig and run the pig programs in sandox window

thanks
    Geeta

Collapse

tedr

Hi Maheedhar,

to bring up the GUI for the Sandbox you point you web browser at http://127.0.0.1:8888 . If you log in to the Sandox window with root/hadoop as you did, there will be no GUI, just the Linux shell. This is by design.

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse

Hi, I’m also facing a problem almost all the others have posted in here.

after everything is set up i was asked for the login and password, as suggested here i have entered the below credentials.
    Login: root
    Password: hadoop

i was expecting some UI after that, but instead i have got the black screen(linux screen), I’m using VMWare 5.0.1 version in my 32-bit windows system, please let me know how to proceed from here.

Collapse

Hi Ted,

You are right; on technical level.
    But on the other hand, one does not simply use root, unless it is unavoidable. It’s for administration, not for work.
    Furthermore, I want to access specific accounts from other hosts (e.g. for scp and ssh) and thus I do not and cannot go through root account (e.g. I want to upload files to sandbox’s home and load them into HDFS as sandbox; but I want to avoid uploading them first to root and then copy them to sandbox and then chown all of them).
    BTW, I am a Teradata tech presales trying to put together some Aster+HDP demo, so I do not want to use the Sandbox for production.

Thanks,

Szilard

Collapse

tedr

Hi Szilard,

You actually don’t need to know the passwords for these various users, once logged in as root you can su to them.

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse

Can we get a list of default passwords for each of the Linux user accounts for the various Hadoop components? I.e. what is the default password for hdfs, hive, hcat, etc.?
    Alternatively, can we change the password for these Linux users without losing connection/access between various components? As root user, we could do it easily using passwd but there might be consequences.
    Thanks!

Collapse

simply it is
    user name = root
    password = hadoop

Collapse

Sasha J

Yes, user sandbox could be used for running jobs.
    Or, you can use individual users for specific tasks (like user hbase for hbase work, hive for hive and pig, etc).
    each user have it’s own “home” folder in HDFS /user/, and all of them belongs top group hdfs.

Hope this help.
    Sasha

Collapse

wei zheng

Or, maybe “sandbox” is the recommended user to do the stuff.

Collapse

wei zheng

Thanks Sasha. I see, so only the user hdfs has the permission to do the hdfs operations. Other than that, can we just use root user to do pig/hbase/hive things?

Collapse

Sasha J

Wei,
    If you need to log in to the Sandbox itself, username is root, password is hadoop
    the, you can do something like:
    su – hdfs -c “hadoop fs -ls /”

etc.

Thank you!
    Sasha

Collapse

wei zheng

What if we want to do everything on the command line? For example, do hadoop fs operations, run map/reduce jobs, compose java programs, run pig/hive scripts/commands..

Does this sandbox support all the above operations? Can we assume this is a fully functional hadoop box besides the web interface? Thanks!

Collapse

For the developer type would you recommend me modifying the image you have and installing a development environment on this image? When I refer to dev environment I am referring to Gnome centos environment with Eclipse for Map/Reduce and R. What is your recommendation?

Collapse

Cheryle Custer

Please note that when logging into root, there is no support for configuration or technical issues on the Sandbox.

Collapse

Sasha J

Confirmed.
    You do not need login in order to use browser based UI.
    If you need to log in to the Sandbox itself, username is root, password is hadoop

Leonid

Collapse

Sasha J

Owen,
    no login required according to documentation:

http://hortonworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Installing_HDP_Sandbox_01_12.pdf

Will check it out to confirm.

Leonid

Collapse
Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)