Home Forums HDP on Windows – Installation Slave node host name quirk and Smoketest failure

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  John Bunch 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

John Bunch

I discovered a quirk in required machine naming convention that isn’t clear in the installation instructions. This applies to version 1.3.

If I use the FQDN for all machine names in the clusterproperties.txt file, I get the following Powershell error when running start_remote_hdp_services.cmd:

C:\hdp\hadoop>start_remote_hdp_services.cmd
    Master nodes: start HadoopCB1.FloridaKeys.mycompany.com
    1 Master nodes successfully started.
    Worker nodes: start HadoopCB2.FloridaKeys.MyCompany.com HadoopCB3.FloridaKeys.saje
    s.com HadoopCB4.FloridaKeys.MyCompany.com
    Invoke-Command : One or more computer names is not valid. If you are trying to
    pass a URI, use the -ConnectionUri parameter or pass URI objects instead of
    strings.
    At C:\hdp\hadoop\manage_remote_hdp_services.ps1:126 char:15
    + $results = Invoke-Command -ComputerName $nodes -ScriptBlock {
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (System.String[]:String[]) [Inv
    oke-Command], ArgumentException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PSSessionInvalidComputerName,Microsoft.PowerShel
    l.Commands.InvokeCommandCommand

0 Worker nodes successfully started.

Each FQDN in the list of nodes can be successfully resolved, pinged, appears in DNS, and otherwise seemed to be correct.

If I replace the SLAVE_HOSTS list with computer names (HadoopCB2) rather than FQDN’s (HadoopCB2.FloridaKeys.mycompany.com) and re-install hadoop, start_remote_hdp_services.cmd works fine.

After researching the Invoke-Command Powershell command it appears that either computer names or FQDN’s should work, so this seems odd.

However, even though start_remote_hdp_services.cmd works, Run-SmokeTests.cmd fails with:

C:\hdp\hadoop>Run-SmokeTests.cmd
    Hadoop smoke test – wordcount using hadoop.cmd file
    The system cannot find the path specified.
    Run-HadoopSmokeTest : Error copying the input file for the Hadoop smoke test
    At line:1 char:1
    + Run-HadoopSmokeTest
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorExcep
    tion
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorExceptio
    n,Run-HadoopSmokeTest

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.