Home Forums Sqoop Sqoop 1.4.2 for SQL Server fails for tables with non-default schema

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Koelli Mungee 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Hi,

When I try to use Sqoop 1.4.2 for SQL Server to import tables from AdventureWorks database, it fails for tables under non-default schema e.g. Person.Contact. In the same database however, the sqoop import command succeeds for tables with the default dbo schema e.g. dbo.ErrorLog. For any tables which is NOT dbo., the import command fails saying ‘Invalid Object Name’. What am I missing here? How can I import tables which are not in dbo schema?

Is there a switch in sqoop for SQL Server where I can set the schema? (Like Sqoop for MySQL)

Thanks,
    Debarchan

Thanks,
    Debarchan

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Sqoop 1.4.2 for SQL Server fails for tables with non-default schema’ is closed to new replies.

• Author
    Replies

Koelli Mungee

Hi Jonathon,

Since you are using HDInsight, It would be probably best to post your issue on the HDInsight forums. Based on the error, ” Invalid object name ‘Sales.SalesOrderDetail”

However, here is an example of a working command,
    sqoop-import –connect “jdbc:sqlserver://10.10.20.8:1433;databaseName=dave” –driver com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver –username hive –password hive –query “select test.dave as NUMBER, test.test# as DATA from test where \$CONDITIONS” –split-by test.dave –as-avrodatafile -m1 –target-dir /data/sub/cca/fpcondtl/stg5hash/

Collapse

Jonathan Gao

c:\apps\dist\sqoop-1.4.3.1.3.1.0-06\bin>sqoop import –connect “jdbc:sqlserver://xxxxxxxxxx.database.windows.net;user=xxx@xxxxxxxxxx;password=Pass@word1;database=AdventureWorks2012″ –table Sales.SalesOrderDetail –target-dir /lineitemData -m 1

Here is the error:

Warning: HBASE_HOME and HBASE_VERSION not set.
    Warning: HBASE_HOME does not exist HBase imports will fail.
    Please set HBASE_HOME to the root of your HBase installation.
    13/12/03 23:35:15 INFO manager.SqlManager: Using default fetchSize of 1000
    13/12/03 23:35:15 INFO tool.CodeGenTool: Beginning code generation
    13/12/03 23:35:16 INFO manager.SqlManager: Executing SQL statement: SELECT t.* FROM [Sales.SalesOrderDetail] AS t WHERE 1=0
    13/12/03 23:35:16 ERROR manager.SqlManager: Error executing statement: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: Invalid object name ‘Sales.SalesOrderDetail’.
    com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: Invalid object name ‘Sales.SalesOrderDetail’.
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException.makeFromDatabaseError(SQLServerException.java:197)
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.getNextResult(SQLServerStatement.java:1493)
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerPreparedStatement.doExecutePreparedStatement(SQLServerPreparedStatement.java:390)
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerPreparedStatement$PrepStmtExecCmd.doExecute(SQLServerPreparedStatement.java:340)
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSCommand.execute(IOBuffer.java:4615)
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.executeCommand(SQLServerConnection.java:1400)
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.executeCommand(SQLServerStatement.java:179)
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.executeStatement(SQLServerStatement.java:154)
    at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerPreparedStatement.executeQuery(SQLServerPreparedStatement.java:283)
    at org.apache.sqoop.manager.SqlManager.execute(SqlManager.java:619)
    at org.apache.sqoop.manager.SqlManager.execute(SqlManager.java:628)
    at org.apache.sqoop.manager.SqlManager.getColumnTypesForRawQuery(SqlManager.java:235)
    at org.apache.sqoop.manager.SqlManager.getColumnTypes(SqlManager.java:219)
    at org.apache.sqoop.manager.ConnManager.getColumnTypes(ConnManager.java:347)
    at org.apache.sqoop.orm.ClassWriter.getColumnTypes(ClassWriter.java:1264)
    at org.apache.sqoop.orm.ClassWriter.generate(ClassWriter.java:1081)
    at org.apache.sqoop.tool.CodeGenTool.generateORM(CodeGenTool.java:82)
    at org.apache.sqoop.tool.ImportTool.importTable(ImportTool.java:390)
    at org.apache.sqoop.tool.ImportTool.run(ImportTool.java:476)
    at org.apache.sqoop.Sqoop.run(Sqoop.java:145)
    at org.apache.hadoop.util.ToolRunner.run(ToolRunner.java:65)
    at org.apache.sqoop.Sqoop.runSqoop(Sqoop.java:181)
    at org.apache.sqoop.Sqoop.runTool(Sqoop.java:220)

Collapse

Koelli Mungee

Hi Jonathan,

Did you have the full command you are entering?

Kind Regards
    Koelli

Collapse

Jonathan Gao

I run into the sample problem with Sqoop 1.4.3 on Windows Azure HDInsight.

Collapse

tedr

Hi Debarchan,

Have you had a chance to try Carters suggestion?

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse

Carter,

I will give it a try. Not sure if it will help though, as from the error it looks like it is not able to see the SQL Server table at the first place if they are not in the default dbo schema. If I import a table from the same database which is under dbo schema, then import works. Also, Person is the schema and AdventureWorks is the database.

–debarchan

Collapse

Carter Shanklin
    Participant

Debarchan, I’m not actually sure it’s necessary but to do it all you need to do is log in using the Hive shell (or the similar beeline utility which requires connecting) and type:

hive> create database Person;

You can also run

hive> show databases;

To list available databases.

Collapse

Sef,

I use the command from Sqoop – SQL Server connector reference manual:

sqoop import –connect “jdbc:sqlserver://;username=;password=;database=AdventureWorks2008R2″ –table Person.Contact –target-dir /data/PersonInfo

Thanks,
    Debarchan

Collapse

Hi Carter,

Thanks, I’ve tried fully qualifying the table names as you indicated below without luck.

I believe you will need to “create database Person” within Hive ahead of time. – Do you mean that I need to fire the create database command in Hive before the import? Could you please provide me with such a sample command?

Regards,
    Debarchan

Collapse

Carter Shanklin
    Participant

Can you try fully qualifying the desired schema in –hive-table, for example –hive-table Person.Contact?

I believe you will need to “create database Person” within Hive ahead of time.

Collapse

Seth Lyubich
    Keymaster

Hi Debarchan,

Can you please provide command and error that you are getting? You might find some useful information here:

http://danieladeniji.wordpress.com/2013/05/06/hadoop-sqoop-importing-data-from-microsoft-sql-server/

Thanks,
    Seth

Collapse
Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)