Home Forums HDP on Linux – Installation Starting up HDFS

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Chris Rivadeneira 10 months, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

I’m currently following the manual installation of HDP. I am trying to make it pass the smoke tests for HDFS an I cannot access my files through the browser. I can access the Hadoop Namenode page where it states the status of it, but if I click the “Browse the filesystem” I get this error:

HTTP ERROR 500

Problem accessing /nn_browsedfscontent.jsp. Reason:

Can’t browse the DFS since there are no live nodes available to redirect to.

From what I have read it is because the datanodes are started properly, and I’ve tried getting them to start but I don’t get any information back from running hdfs datanode as root. If I run hdfs datanode from a standard hadoop user I get this error:

13/11/19 15:58:11 WARN common.Util: Path /grid/hadoop/hdfs/dn should be specified as a URI in configuration files. Please update hdfs configuration.
    13/11/19 15:58:11 WARN datanode.DataNode: Invalid dfs.datanode.data.dir /grid/hadoop/hdfs/dn :
    EPERM: Operation not permitted

I’ve followed the tutorial to the best of my ability, but I must be missing something. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks :)

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

I added some of the users, but I gave permissions to root so datanode could start up under them. Will hadoop not allow datanode to start under root and I need to add the users to the system? Also, what’s the best way to go about setting up these users and groups? I’m currently using CentOS 6

Collapse

Dave

Hi Chris,

Did you change the directories permissions and ownerships as required in the manual install?
    The DataNode should run as hdfs and not root.

Thanks

Dave

Collapse
Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)