Home Forums HDP on Linux – Installation Start/Stop Instances on EC2 changed DNS/IP

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Sasha J 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Anupam Gupta
    Participant

Hi All,

I have installed HDP on EC2, I have EBS backed Instances, I stopped my instance and start again on next day but I am not able to start ambari server because internal IP and public IP are changed .

How can I restore my all Hadoop settings.
    Please help

Thanks In Advance,
    AGupta

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

Sasha J

Those questions are not relevant to HDP.
    It is purely EC2 thing on how it stores and keep the data.
    Data in the root volume should be persistent until instance termination, data on EBS volumes should be persisted until volume destroyed.

Hope this helps.
    Thank you!
    Sasha

Collapse

Anupam Gupta
    Participant

Hi Sasha,
    Thanks for your reply,
    I have some doubt Kindly Clarify
    1) If I installed data on Root Volume will I Get that data back after start stop instance.
    2) if I attached a volume to a instance and store data on that volume will I preserve that data if I stop start my instances.
    We are very new to HDP please help us
    Thanks,
    AGupta

Collapse

Sasha J

There is no way to modify Ambari configuration, you have to reinstall cluster from the beginning.
    You can preserve your existing data, but cluster should be reinstalled.
    In general, EC2 keep internal IP unchanged between reboots, but most likely there is a some timeout for this which was exceeded…

Please, reinstall cluster and try to get static IPs from Amazon to prevent such problems in the future…

Thank you!
    Sasha

Collapse

Anupam Gupta
    Participant

Hi Ted,
    Thanks for Reply, I am able to changeIp and hoste name in /etc/hosts on every node but as you said that we need to change Ip and hostname in in ambari UI I want to know that how can we change this in ambari UI.
    There is option to change Hostname and IP in ambari UI.
    Please Help.
    Thanks,
    AGupta

Collapse

tedr

Hi Agupta,

You should only need to change the ips and hostnames in /etc/hosts and in the hostname in the hadoop configs. The latter one here will need to be done via the ambari web ui. If not done in the abmari web ui the configurations will be overwritten each time ambari is started. You will also need to change this hostname in the ui each time you restart the instances. This bit about the hostname can be made unnecessary by changing the value in /etc/sysconfig/network. Just make sure that hostname -f gives you the FQDN that ambari is looking for. However there is nothing that can be done about the ips, these will always change upon restarting the instances, it is possible to write a script that sets the ips in /etc/hosts and is run on startup which will make that part easier.

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse
Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)