Home Forums Hortonworks Sandbox Suddenly sandbox can't connect

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dave 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Mary Dietess

I have a sandbox 1.3 on Hyper-V.
    Usually when I do mapReduce with 1 million records in one file, everything is OK, but I decided to try 60 million records in several files on input. mapreduce started, made several percents of mapping and then sandbox showed me this repeating error:

INFO ipc.Client: Retrying connect to server: sandbox/192.168.11.5:8020. Already tried 0 time(s); retry policy is RetryUpToMaximumCountWithFixedSleep(maxRetries=50, sleepTime=1 SECONDS)

Since this event I tried to restart hadoop services and whole sandbox, but it goes just two ways: veeery veeery slow reacting my commands and doesn’t complete mapreduce without any logging. Hadoop starts mapreduce, starts mapping and hangs at 0% with nothing in logging ot _temporary in output folder

or

just repeating this “I can’t connect to myself” error even with dfs commands. In this case I need to restart namenode.

What can it be and why? I worked with hortonworks hadoop sandbox 1.3 from-the-box and work with small amounts of data was OK. All I did – changed amount of data to input.

Sorry for my english.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

Dave

Hi Mary,

What about memory constraints – can you check how much the java process is using and compare it to its Xmx ?
    The Sandbox is configured to use 2GB of memory (iirc) – so the settings are usually fairly low.
    If it does turn out to be memory related then I would suggest building your own single node cluster on more powerful hardware – or you can reconfigure the settings on the sandbox – however we do not recommend you do this and cannot advise what settings you should use.

Thanks

Dave

Collapse

Mary Dietess

Hi, Dave.

Sorry for long reply – different timezone :)
    No, none of filesystems are full. And one interesting nuance: when mapreduce works, virtual machine use ~1-3% of CPU.

Collapse

Dave

Hi Mary,

Can you run a “df” on the sandbox and see if any of the filesystems are full?

Thanks

Dave

Collapse
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)