Home Forums Hortonworks Sandbox Suspend/Resume VM — is this OK?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Carter Shanklin 1 year, 2 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

I am running the sandbox using VMware player under Windows 7. Can I routinely suspend and resume the VM and expect things will work? Tutorials can be attempted in an ad hoc manner this way? I can suspend the VM, even re-boot the host machine, resume the VM and continue where I left off?

Also I notice that the VM configuration is pretty limited: 2 GB RAM, 2 cores enabled. I have a host with 16 GB of total memory — any advantages to boosting the configuration parameters?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

Carter Shanklin
    Participant

You should be fine with just a hard shutdown. In the future we’ll probably ship open-vm-tools to allow soft shutdowns but haven’t gotten to that yet. I’ve not had problems with hard shutdowns thus far.

Collapse

What is the recommended way to shut down the VM — for example to boost the amount of RAM configured. Just kill it from the VMware player console? Normally, in a VM I am logged in and I would shut down CentOS from the GUI so that shutdown is done smoothly.

Thanks for the quick response!

Collapse

Carter Shanklin
    Participant

Hi James,

I routinely suspend / resume with no problems, I expect you will be able to as well. Your browser will lose some context if you close it. The Pig UI in particular will save state server-side so even if you do close some things will pick up where you left off, but other UIs are not quite the same way.

We sized the sandbox to very modest hardware profiles and all of our tutorials will function with only 2GB RAM. Certain aspects will be a lot faster if you give it more RAM. In particular the Pig tutorial is quite slow with 2GB RAM due to extensive paging within the guest. If you increase to 3GB there will be little paging and at 4GB no paging at all. The Hive tutorials are pretty quick even at 2GB. If you have the hardware, 3 or more GB will make things go a lot smoother.

Collapse
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)