The Hortonworks Community Connection is now live. A completely rebuilt Q&A forum, Knowledge Base, Code Hub and more, backed by the experts in the industry.

You will be redirected here in 10 seconds. If your are not redirected, click here to visit the new site.

The legacy Hortonworks Forum is now closed. You can view a read-only version of the former site by clicking here. The site will be taken offline on January 31,2016

HDP on Linux – Installation Forum

Templeton tests fail during HMC installation

rajeev kaul
    Participant

I tried installing HDP using HMC installation on a 3 node ec2 (AWS) cluster – all medium size. The installation process runs smoothly until it runs the Templeton test.

I checked the hmc.log file and it shows the following error:

[2013:01:11 07:10:46][INFO][PuppetInvoker][PuppetInvoker.php:336][waitForResults]: 0 out of 1 nodes have reported for txn 3-115-55
    [2013:01:11 07:10:51][INFO][PuppetInvoker][PuppetInvoker.php:336][waitForResults]: 1 out of 1 nodes have reported for txn 3-115-55
    [2013:01:11 07:10:52][INFO][PuppetInvoker][PuppetInvoker.php:237][createGenKickWaitResponse]: Response of genKickWait:
    Array
    (
    [result] => 0
    [error] =>
    [nokick] => Array
    (
    )

[failed] => Array
    (
    [0] => hwks2.ec2.customercaresolutions.com
    )

[success] => Array
    (
    )

[timedoutnodes] => Array
    (
    )

)

[2013:01:11 07:10:52][INFO][Service: TEMPLETON (cciHadoop)][Service.php:466][smoke]: Persisting puppet report for smoke testing TEMPLETON
    [2013:01:11 07:10:52][ERROR][Service: TEMPLETON (cciHadoop)][Service.php:473][smoke]: Service smoke check failed with Array
    (
    [result] => 0
    [error] =>
    [nokick] => Array
    (
    )

[failed] => Array
    (
    [0] => hwks2.ec2.customercaresolutions.com
    )

[success] => Array
    (
    )

[timedoutnodes] => Array
    (
    )

)

[2013:01:11 07:10:52][INFO][OrchestratorDB][OrchestratorDB.php:610][persistTransaction]: persist: 3-115-55:FAILED:Templeton test:FAILED
    [2013:01:11 07:10:52][INFO][OrchestratorDB][OrchestratorDB.php:556][setServiceState]: TEMPLETON – FAILED
    [2013:01:11 07:10:52][INFO][Service: TEMPLETON (cciHadoop)][Service.php:130][setState]: TEMPLETON – FAILED dryRun=
    [2013:01:11 07:10:52][INFO][OrchestratorDB][OrchestratorDB.php:610][persistTransaction]: persist: 3-115-55:FAILED:Templeton test:FAILED
    [2013:01:11 07:10:52][INFO][Cluster:cciHadoop][Cluster.php:810][startService]: Starting service TEMPLETON complete. Result=-2
    [2013:01:11 07:10:52][INFO][ClusterMain:TxnId=3][ClusterMain.php:353][]: Completed action=deploy on cluster=cciHadoop, txn=3-0-0, result=-2, error=Service TEMPLETON is not STARTED, smoke tests failed!
    [2013:01:11 07:10:52][INFO][ClusterState][clusterState.php:40][updateClusterState]: Update Cluster State with {“state”:”DEPLOYMENT_IN_PROGRESS”,”displayName”:”Deployment in progress”,”timeStamp”:1357888252,”context”:{“txnId”:3,”isInPostProcess”:true}}
    [2013:01:11 07:10:52][INFO][ClusterState][clusterState.php:40][updateClusterState]: Update Cluster State with {“state”:”DEPLOYED”,”displayName”:”Deploy failed”,”timeStamp”:1357888252,”context”:{“status”:false,”txnId”:”3″}}
    [2013:01:11 07:10:52][INFO][ClusterState][clusterState.php:40][updateClusterState]: Update Cluster State with {“state”:”DEPLOYED”,”displayName”:”Deploy failed”,”timeStamp”:1357888252,”context”:{“status”:false,”txnId”:”3″,”isInPostProcess”:false,”postProcessSuccessful”:true}}

• Author
    Replies
    rajeev kaul
    Participant

I wanted to provide some more information about my setup. I have 3 nodes (using CENTOS 6.x 64 OS) with the following setup:

node1: (hmc.ec2.customercaresolutions.com) -> hmc, primary namenode, hbase, zookeeper, hdfs

node2: (hwks1. ec2.customercaresolutions.com) -> secondary namenode, hbase, hive, pig, oozie, sqoop, ganglia, hdfs, nagios, templeton, zookeeper

node3: (hwks2:ec2.customercaresolutions.com) -> zookeeper

Is there a way to manually fix the installation at this point? I would also recommend that HMC installation should continue with the installation process, even when any of the non-essential modules like oozie, sqoop, or templeton fail. It seems such a wasted effort to start from scratch, when most of the essential modules are installed correctly.

rajeev kaul
    Participant

I solved the installation problem by doing the following:

service hmc stop
    yum -y erase hmc puppet
    pdsh -w hmc.ec2.customercaresolutions.com,hwks1.ec2.customercaresolutions.com,hwks2.ec2.customercaresolutions.com rm -rf /var/log/hmc/*; rm -rf /var/log/puppet*
    yum -y install hmc
    service hmc start

then continued installation through the HMC web page
    I used the same configuration except I moved the templeton service to the 3rd node (hwks2.ec2.customercaresolutions.com)

The monitoring page shows Templeton service as down. But the rest of the services are running fine. However, when I check through ps -ef command, it shows the Templeton service as running. So, not sure what if it is just a reporting issue or no
    Anyway, I am glad I got it to install by redistributing the templeton service to another node

Seth Lyubich

Hi Rajeev,

Thank you fot installing HDP and updating us on your progress.

For Templeton monitoring issue you can try to re-schedule the alert in Nagios. You can also see if Templeton respons by using commands below. If it responds you should get back status and version information.

curl -s http://[servername]:50111/templeton/v1/status
    curl -s http://[servername]:50111/templeton/v1/version

Please let us know if this helpful.

Thanks,
    Seth

rajeev kaul
    Participant

Yes, that worked. I got response for both status and version queries.

thanks,

Rajeev

Seth Lyubich

Hi Rajeev,

Thanks for the follow up. I just wanted to make sure that your issue is resolved.

Thanks for using HDP.

Seth

The forum ‘HDP on Linux – Installation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.