Home Forums Hortonworks Sandbox The 'namelog' service fails with err msg while starting in SANDBOX 1.3

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Dave 1 year, 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Rajeev Joshi

Hi!
    I was trying out Hadoop (Sandbox 1.3 Version) for the first time, and was doing the Hello World Tutorial.

Firstly, I got an error while installation because the clusterservices.txt file mentioned d: as log file repositories, and I had only a C: drive on my Server.
    I split the C: into E: (D: was the DVD Driver) with the sizes:
    C: 7.94GB free of 23.4 GB
    E: 15.6GB free of 16.4 GB
    Then, I modified the few lines at the top of clusterservices.txt to refer to E: instead of D:

The installation was successful.

When I reach the next step:

start_local_hdp_services

One services failed, ‘namelog’.

I looked at the logs but I could not figure out why the failure was happening.

I am attaching the log directory for your help.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    2013-10-31 00:00:05,448 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.util.GSet: recommended=4194304, actual=4194304
    2013-10-31 00:00:05,462 INFO org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.common.Storage: Storage directory E:hdpdatahdfsnn does not exist
    2013-10-31 00:00:05,464 ERROR org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem: FSNamesystem initialization failed.
    org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.common.InconsistentFSStateException: Directory E:hdpdatahdfsnn is in an inconsistent state: storage directory does not exist or is not accessible.
    at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSImage.recoverTransitionRead
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    THere is only a E:hdpdatahdfsdn directory in that directory.

It will be most helpful if you can tell me what the error was, and where I went wrong.

Awaiting an early reply,
    Sincerely,

Ciao!
    ~ rajeev joshi (e: rajeev.joshi@izeltech.com) (m: +91.98225.39873)

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘The 'namelog' service fails with err msg while starting in SANDBOX 1.3’ is closed to new replies.

• Author
    Replies

Dave

Hi Rajeev,

No problem, the sandbox is totally standalone.
    If you wish to install HDP on another machine you must follow the install instructions and can format the namenode as I had asked earlier.
    This should clear up your issue.

Let me know if you have any other problems.

Thanks

Dave

Collapse

Rajeev Joshi

Hi Dave,
    SO sorry, it was my mistake. I misread the last line of the first paragraph of ‘Hello World’ where it says that ‘ HDP is free to download and use in your enterprise and you can download it here: Hortonworks Data Platform Download’ and the last 4 words formed a hyperlink.

I now know that no other machine needs to be involved, except the Sandbox.

I understand that the screenshots for Apache Hive and Query Editor further down in the ‘Hello World’ tutorial refer to the Sandbox and the relevant .exe in the sandbox. Is that correct?

I am away from my installation/laptop right now, so cannot continue further experimentation.

I will be able to work further only on Wednesday 6thNov’13 as we are on a religious holiday here (equivalent in importance to ‘Christmas’ in the western world). Its called Diwali — the festival of Lamps.

I thank you profusely for all your so very prompt answers, and will get back to you with hopefully a passed Smoke Test and a ‘Thumbs Up’ on the 6th.

With Best Regards,
    ~ rajeev

Collapse

Dave

Hi Rajeev,

Why are you installing a HDP for Windows cluster on a windows 2008 machine to use with ‘Sandbox’ ?
    The Sandbox is working and no-where in the ‘hello world’ tutorial does it ask you to install a Windows cluster.
    All you need to download is the sample data, then you can upload and manipulate it

Regards

Dave

Collapse

Rajeev Joshi

Hi Dave,
    Thanks for the prompt reply.
    The URL for getting the sandbox that I use is the FOURTH one mentioned in:

http://hortonworks.com/products/hortonworks-sandbox/#install

On this web page, it is the Sandbox 1.3 for legacy testing that I have been using.
    The .ova file download successfully — albeit after 4 hours — and then I give it as input to the ESX client as an existing VM.
    The IP is not found, so the final screen does NOT say, “Access this through any browser.”
    S, I set the IP for the Sandbox VM by logging in as root/hadoop. And then the broswer part works correctly.

Am I doing anything wrong or extra?

Now, I load a W2k8R2 VM separately, and perform the installation tasks there.

For this,, I go to the Hello World’ Tutorial, and download the HDP asper the ‘HortonWorks Data Platform Download’ hyperlink.
    THAT’s when I keep getting errors in the last-but-one step there

Am I doing something wrong here? Pl let me know.

Best Regards,
    ~ rajeev

Collapse

Dave

Hi Rajeev,

From the description of your issue, you are not using the sandbox.
    The sandbox should be run in VirtualBox or VMWare and runs on CentOS 6
    The URL to access the sandbox is http://127.0.0.1:8888

However, the namenode does not need formatting etc which is what you’ve had to do here.

Please let me know the link you used to download the sandbox and how you are running it.

Thanks

Dave

Collapse

Rajeev Joshi

Ms. Cheryle,
    I AM using the Sandbox as mentioned in the first line of the main mail above. The error is coming in the Sandbox code itself.

In case the error is no reproducible to you, would you just note down the set of URLs I am supposed to access, and the choice on each page that I am to take, in solving the Hello WOrld Tutorial?

Thanks a lot,

Reply awaited,
    ~ rajeev (m:+91.98225.39873) (e: rajeev.joshi13@gmail.com)

Collapse

Cheryle Custer

If your goal is to just do the tutorial, please try the Sandbox rather than a full HDP installation. The tutorials are developed for the Sandbox and the Sandbox HUE interface. Find the Sandbox here: hortonworks.com/sandbox It’s a single node Hadoop environment that can run on your laptop.

Collapse

Dave

Hi Rajeev,

You need to format the namenode after you create the directory – then the NameNode will start and services will connect successfully:

hadoop namenode -format

The windows forum is found here:

http://hortonworks.com/community/forums/forum/hdp-for-windows/

Thanks

Dave

Collapse

Rajeev Joshi

Hi Dave,
    1. How do I access the Windows forum?
    2. I tried creating the directory ‘nn’ (see the details above), but that did not solve the problem. I got something like “namenode is not Formatted…”

I would really be VERY,VERY grateful if someone could help with the above problem, as I have spent literally hours just on the ‘Hello, World’ Windows tutorial without getting it correct, and that makes me feel very shameful and frustrated.
    Awaiting a reply,
    ~ rajeev (m:+91.98225.39873) (e: rajeev.joshi13@gmail.com)

Collapse

Dave

Hi,

The Sandbox runs on CentOS, so I believe you must be installing HDP 1.3 for Windows – is that correct?
    You should probably place this into the windows forum where people would be best placed to help you.

I would look through the installation logs to see why this directory wasn’t created correctly – or you can create the directory.

Thanks

Dave

Collapse
Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)