Sqoop Forum

Trouble with Avro source in Flume

K S

Hi Guys…. Im new to hadoop and I am experimenting with Sandbox. I was able to insert data to HDFS, but in serialized format using the Avro source. How do I deserialize the data for further processing using pig/hive.

Also any decent guide on the differences between the different sources like Thrift,Avro,NetCat and SysLog and their usage ?

to create new topics or reply. | New User Registration

• Author
    Yi Zhang

Hi K S,

Hive has AvroSerde to process avro data. Have you tried it?

K S

Thanks for the reply Yi … I will take a look at AvroSerde. But, is it not true that Hive is only for structured data ?. What about unstructured data that can be used thriugh Pig ?.

Robert Molina

HI KS,
    Here is a link for pig that might help:

Also regarding the different sources, you can refer to :

Hope that helps.

You must be to reply to this topic. | Create Account

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.