HDP on Linux – Installation Forum

Trying to install HDP on a node

alex Gordon

I went through the process of manually installing ambari (not through SSH, because I couldnt get keyless to work) and everything installed OK, except for HIVE and GANGLIA.

I got this message:

stderr:
    None
    stdout:
    warning: Unrecognised escape sequence ‘\;’ in file /var/lib/ambari-agent/puppet/modules/hdp-hive/manifests/hive/service_check.pp at line 32
    warning: Dynamic lookup of $configuration is deprecated. Support will be removed in Puppet 2.8. Use a fully-qualified variable name (e.g., $classname::variable) or parameterized classes.
    notice: /Stage[1]/Hdp::Snappy::Package/Hdp::Snappy::Package::Ln[32]/Hdp::Exec[hdp::snappy::package::ln 32]/Exec[hdp::snappy::package::ln 32]/returns: executed successfully
    notice: /Stage[2]/Hdp-hive::Hive::Service_check/File[/tmp/hiveserver2Smoke.sh]/ensure: defined content as ‘{md5}7f1d24221266a2330ec55ba620c015a9′
    notice: /Stage[2]/Hdp-hive::Hive::Service_check/File[/tmp/hiveserver2.sql]/ensure: defined content as ‘{md5}0c429dc9ae0867b5af74ef85b5530d84′
    notice: /Stage[2]/Hdp-hcat::Hcat::Service_check/File[/tmp/hcatSmoke.sh]/ensure: defined content as ‘{md5}bae7742f7083db968cb6b2bd208874cb’
    notice: /Stage[2]/Hdp-hcat::Hcat::Service_check/Exec[hcatSmoke.sh prepare]/returns: 13/06/25 03:11:56 WARN conf.HiveConf: DEPRECATED: Configuration property hive.metastore.local no longer has any effect. Make sure to provide a valid value for hive.metastore.uris if you are connecting to a remote metastore.
    notice: /Stage[2]/Hdp-hcat::Hcat::Service_check/Exec[hcatSmoke.sh prepare]/returns: FAILED: SemanticException org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.parse.SemanticException: org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.HiveException: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to instantiate org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStoreClient
    notice: /Stage[2]/Hdp-hcat::Hcat::Service_check/Exec[hcatSmoke.sh prepare]/returns: 13/06/25 03:12:06 WARN conf.HiveConf: DEPRECATED: Configuration property hive.metastore.local no longer has any effect. Make sure to provide a valid value for hive.metastore.uris if you are connecting to a remote metastore.
    notice: /Stage[2]/Hdp-hcat::Hcat::Service_check/Exec[hcatSmoke.sh prepare]/returns: FAILED: SemanticException [Error 10001]: Table not found hcatsmokeida8c07401_date102513
    notice: /Stage[2]/Hdp-hcat::Hcat::Service_check/Exec[hcatSmoke.sh prepare]/returns: 13/06/25 03:12:15 WARN conf.HiveConf: DEPRECATED: Configuration property hive.metastore.local no longer has any effect. Make sure to provide a valid value for hive.metastore.uris if you are connecting to a remote metastore.
    notice: /Stage[2]/Hdp-hcat::Hcat::Service_check/Exec[hcatSmoke.sh prepare]/returns: FAILED: SemanticException o

When i go to the alerts and health checks i’m getting this:

ive Metastore status check
    CRIT for 42 minutes
    CRITICAL: Error accessing hive-metaserver status [13/06/25 03:44:06 WARN conf.HiveConf: DEPRECATED: Configuration property hive.metastore.local no longer has any effect.

What am I doing wrong?

to create new topics or reply. | New User Registration

• Author
    Replies
    Sasha J

Error is:
    notice: /Stage[2]/Hdp-hcat::Hcat::Service_check/Exec[hcatSmoke.sh prepare]/returns: FAILED: SemanticException [Error 10001]: Table not found hcatsmokeida8c07401_date102513

I think your metastore schema was not created for some reasons.
    Could you please outline steps you use to install the cluster?
    Are you use existing MySQL installation?

Thank you!
    Sasha

alex Gordon

I actually thought it was because the name node is in safe mode when there’s only 1 slave node?

To install we had to do a manual install with rpm (not ssh).

1. Then I went to 127.0.0.1 on the server and logged in with admin/admin.
    2. I used all default settings and installed the entire package hdfs, mapreduce, ganglia, hive etc…
    3. There were errors with installing HCAT and HIVE i think.

Seth Lyubich

Hi Alex,

Do you have other services running correctly in the cluster? One thing I noticed that you are using 127.0.0.1, and wanted to check if you configured name resolution with non-localhost IPs in the cluster.

Also, based on the error – Unable to instantiate org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStoreClient, please make sure that Hive bits installed on client node, and that MySQL driver is setup and configured.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,
    Seth

alex Gordon

Seth – are you able to do a teamviewer meeting now to take a look?

Sasha J

Alex,
    take a loom here: http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP1/HDP-1.3.0/bk_using_Ambari_book/content/ambari-chap1-5.html
    YOu should follow prerequisites and you should use some “real”: IP address adn some “real” name for the node, not 127.0.0.1 and localhost….

Thank you!
    Sasha

You must be to reply to this topic. | Create Account

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.