Home Forums Hive / HCatalog TTransportException: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Sasha J 11 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

I an currently encountering this error when running a query against a table with many (~10k) partitions. (The partitions are about 70m each, which is small, but this is just a subset of the data.) Selecting from a small set of partitions works fine. I thought it might be related to hive.metastore.batch.retrieve.max and hive.metastore.batch.retrieve.table.partition.max set I temporarily set them both to 50 with no change in behavior. I don’t think upping hive.metastore.client.socket.timeout is a long-term solution.

I looked for hive logs on the metastore master in /var/log/hive/, but they contain only startup messages. I also looked in /var/log/hadoop/hive which is mentioned in the java command, but that is empty.

Any thoughts on a solution, or places to get more information about what is happening?

HDP 1.3
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.4 (Santiago)

hive> select * from view_airing_overlay;
    FAILED: SemanticException org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransportException: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out

hive> show partitions view_airing_overlay;
    OK

Time taken: 2.63 seconds, Fetched: 10854 row(s)

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

The topic ‘TTransportException: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out’ is closed to new replies.

• Author
    Replies

Sasha J

I understand that changing the timeout isn’t a long term solution, but does it actually work? I.e.: If you change the timeout will the query succeed? I’m asking because if yes then we have a performance problem, if no it’s even worse.

Could you please provide us with some more information? We need to try to reproduce the situation….

Thank you!
    Sasha

Collapse
Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)