The Hortonworks Community Connection is now live. A completely rebuilt Q&A forum, Knowledge Base, Code Hub and more, backed by the experts in the industry.

You will be redirected here in 10 seconds. If your are not redirected, click here to visit the new site.

The legacy Hortonworks Forum is now closed. You can view a read-only version of the former site by clicking here. The site will be taken offline on January 31,2016

Hive / HCatalog Forum

Unable to display the data in the table

Karthick S

Hi,

I have created a table using
    CREATE EXTERNAL TABLE person_analysis
    (id INT, name STRING, vehicle STRING, veh_value BIGINT,tv STRING, tv_value BIGINT)
    COMMENT ‘work’
    ROW FORMAT DELIMITED FIELDS TERMINATED BY ’44’ LINES TERMINATED BY ‘\n’
    STORED AS TEXTFILE
    LOCATION ‘/user/hue’;

Looked like table creation was OK

Then i tried displaying the data in the table

select * from person_analysis;

It throws an error “java.io.IOException: java.io.IOException: Not a file: hdfs://sandbox:8020/user/hue/jobsub”

From Log:
    13/07/30 21:13:47 INFO ql.Driver:
    OK
    13/07/30 21:13:47 INFO ql.Driver: OK
    13/07/30 21:13:56 WARN conf.HiveConf: DEPRECATED: Configuration property hive.metastore.local no longer has any effect. Make sure to provide a valid value for hive.metastore.uris if you are connecting to a remote metastore.
    13/07/30 21:13:56 WARN conf.HiveConf: DEPRECATED: Configuration property hive.metastore.local no longer has any effect. Make sure to provide a valid value for hive.metastore.uris if you are connecting to a remote metastore.
    13/07/30 21:13:56 INFO mapred.FileInputFormat: Total input paths to process : 5
    13/07/30 21:13:56 ERROR security.UserGroupInformation: PriviledgedActionException as:hue cause:BeeswaxException(message:java.io.IOException: java.io.IOException: Not a file: hdfs://sandbox:8020/user/hue/jobsub, log_context:7ec8bc71-b0e4-4769-bc05-80fa93523a36, handle:QueryHandle(id:7ec8bc71-b0e4-4769-bc05-80fa93523a36, log_context:7ec8bc71-b0e4-4769-bc05-80fa93523a36), SQLState: )
    13/07/30 21:13:56 ERROR beeswax.BeeswaxServiceImpl: Caught BeeswaxException
    BeeswaxException(message:java.io.IOException: java.io.IOException: Not a file: hdfs://sandbox:8020/user/hue/jobsub, log_context:7ec8bc71-b0e4-4769-bc05-80fa93523a36, handle:QueryHandle(id:7ec8bc71-b0e4-4769-bc05-80fa93523a36, log_context:7ec8bc71-b0e4-4769-bc05-80fa93523a36), SQLState: )

Looks like some issue with permission. could someone help on this ?

• Author
    Replies
    Seth Lyubich

Hi,

Yes, this looks like a permission issue. Can you please check your permissions on /user/hue and /user/hue/jobsub ?

Hope this helps,

Thanks,
    Seth

Karthick S

Seth,
    Thanks for confirming. how do i check the permission of /user/hue and /user/hue/jobsub from sandbox shell ? Also please let me know how do i change the permission if there are permission issues.

I tried

[root@sandbox~]#hadoop fs -chmod 777 /user/hue

but it throws the following error

chmod: failed on ‘hdfs://sandbox:8020/user/hue’: org.apache.hadoop.security.AccessControlException: Permission denied

Thanks in advance.

Robert
    Participant

Hi Member,
    I believe what’s occurring is that since your external table path is at /user/hue, there are so many folders and files in that location and hence probably does not like that. How about providing external table path of /user/hue/externaltab/tab1 ? Thus only put your data file in that location and verify if that resolves the error.

Regards,
    Robert

The forum ‘Hive / HCatalog’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.