The Hortonworks Community Connection is now live. A completely rebuilt Q&A forum, Knowledge Base, Code Hub and more, backed by the experts in the industry.

You will be redirected here in 10 seconds. If your are not redirected, click here to visit the new site.

The legacy Hortonworks Forum is now closed. You can view a read-only version of the former site by clicking here. The site will be taken offline on January 31,2016

Hive / HCatalog Forum

Unable to rename Hive Table Partition

Dhirendra Singh
    Participant

I am trying to rename a Partition using following command:
    ALTER TABLE dummy_table PARTITION (year=’2014′, month=’01’, day=’01’) RENAME TO PARTITION (year=’2014′, month=’01’, day=’02’);
    This runs fine on my single node unsecured cluster. However, when I run same command with same set of data-sets on a Kerberos secured multi-node cluster, it gives following error:
    FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask. Unable to rename partition.
    Even the hive logs also have only this much of log. I am not able to understand the root cause of this issue.

Here is the table partition information
    # col_name data_type comment
    year int None
    month int None
    day int None

Please help me understand the root-cause of this problem and resolve it.

• Author
    Replies
    Thejas Nair

Are you using a remote metastore server ? Is there any error in log of metastore server?

Dhirendra Singh
    Participant

No Thejas, actually all other commands are working fine like create partition, drop partition, show partitions etc. Even I am able to change the partition fileformat and location as well. This error comes only when I am trying to rename the partition.

Thanks for your reply!!!

Dhirendra Singh
    Participant

Moreover can anyone tell me where can I find the source code for hive libraries so that I can debug this issue? I am using hortonworks hive version 0.12.0.2.0.6.1-102. I have checked the hortonworks maven repository but it is not there.

Dhirendra Singh
    Participant

Got the problem. It seems that renaming a partition is not allowed for an internal table. I am able to rename the partition for an external table but it does not work for an internal table.

The forum ‘Hive / HCatalog’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.