Home Forums Hive / HCatalog Unable to rename Hive Table Partition

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dhirendra Singh 8 months, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Dhirendra Singh
    Participant

I am trying to rename a Partition using following command:
    ALTER TABLE dummy_table PARTITION (year=’2014′, month=’01’, day=’01’) RENAME TO PARTITION (year=’2014′, month=’01’, day=’02’);
    This runs fine on my single node unsecured cluster. However, when I run same command with same set of data-sets on a Kerberos secured multi-node cluster, it gives following error:
    FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask. Unable to rename partition.
    Even the hive logs also have only this much of log. I am not able to understand the root cause of this issue.

Here is the table partition information
    # col_name data_type comment
    year int None
    month int None
    day int None

Please help me understand the root-cause of this problem and resolve it.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

Dhirendra Singh
    Participant

Got the problem. It seems that renaming a partition is not allowed for an internal table. I am able to rename the partition for an external table but it does not work for an internal table.

Collapse

Dhirendra Singh
    Participant

Moreover can anyone tell me where can I find the source code for hive libraries so that I can debug this issue? I am using hortonworks hive version 0.12.0.2.0.6.1-102. I have checked the hortonworks maven repository but it is not there.

Collapse

Dhirendra Singh
    Participant

No Thejas, actually all other commands are working fine like create partition, drop partition, show partitions etc. Even I am able to change the partition fileformat and location as well. This error comes only when I am trying to rename the partition.

Thanks for your reply!!!

Collapse

Thejas Nair
    Participant

Are you using a remote metastore server ? Is there any error in log of metastore server?

Collapse
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)