Hortonworks Sandbox Forum

Unable to started Hortonworks Sandbox 2.1 in Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager

Jagadeesh Potluri

When I started Hortonworks Sandbox 2.1 . It throws an error
    Error: ” this kernel requires an x86-64 cpu but only detected an i686 cpu unable to boot”

My Laptop Specs: Windows-7 (32-bit), RAM-4GB, i3 processor

Before Importing Virtual Appliances, I have selected Guest OS type as “Ubuntu” . I hope it indicates 32 bit

Note: I enabled “Intel Virtual Technology” in Bios and in Acceleration tab “Intel VT-x/AMD-V from BIOS” was checked.

Can anyone help on this issue

to create new topics or reply. | New User Registration

• Author

Hi Jagadeesh,

Can you ensure on the OS you select RHEL 64 bit?
    What Virtualization software are you running, and have you looked in their documentation regarding this error?

Jagadeesh Potluri

Yeah, Now I did with Red hat-64 bit.
    At the statement “Starting Sandbox…” system is not responding well(Soooo Slow). I stopped it.
    Might be because of 4GB ram i had in my laptop and i am allocating less than 4Gb for VM.

Jagadeesh Potluri

Is there any other way to fix it

You should really run this on a system with more than 4GB of RAM. If you find it slow, then it is because you have given it less.
    You can build your own using 2GB possibly and only install the services you require as a workaround.

Dinesh Techy

I cannot start either . Says Error relaunching process .. *!^&@^@ . Tried with VMWare and that does not work either. Didn’t realize that Hortonworks can screw up such a simple thing ! I was on cloudera and it was so straightforward. am evaluating HortonWorks for my client. But looks like Horton works is all messed up.

You must be to reply to this topic. | Create Account

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.