Home Forums HDP on Linux – Installation upgrade to 1.3

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  tedr 1 year, 6 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Andrew Hume
    Participant

in the upgrade instructions, step 2 says (on RHEL6) to do an
    rpm -e –npostun oozie $old_version_number

what the heck are we suppose dto use for $old_version_number?
    it clearly isn’t any version number, for the rpm command is expecting a package name.

also, i hate instructions that just say “do X, and then wait until some status has change dto Y”.
    you really need to give an estimate of how long this should take, or how to verify that some progress is actually being made. for example, i’ve been waiting for over an hour and can’t find any log file that is being updated. is something broken? (rhetorical!) how would or could i know?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

tedr

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for letting us know that “it’s all fixed” now. Sorry that you had the trouble. I agree with your hope that the documentation will continue to improve.

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse

Andrew Hume
    Participant

thanks.

i would point out that the actual answer was that despite following the instructions, the software wasn’t actually updated and so the hdfs release never changed.

but in answer to your point about times being variable, i would point out that the time for modern hardware is of teh order of seconds to minutes per TB, and that in fact there is a specific log message to look out for. this could be mentioned in the instructions.

its all fixed now, and hopefully the instructions will continue to improve.

thanks

Collapse

tedr

Hi Andrew,

Firstly let me apologize for not getting back to you sooner on this. You are correct that rpm is expecting a package name. You can find the package name with “rpm -qa | grep oozie”. The instructions should have pointed this out. There is also a typo in what is there, a ‘-‘ is missing between oozie and $old_version_number. Thanks for bringing these to our attention, I’ll log a bug about them so that they will be fixed. As far as the estimation on the time goes though it is quite difficult to come up with one, as there are a large number of variables that can cause it to vary greatly. Such as the number of computer in the cluster, the speed of the network, the speed of the computers and many more.

Thanks,
    Ted.

Collapse
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)