Hortonworks Sandbox Forum

user directory in sandbox

Kar Son

Hi I am trying to find where the map reduce input files are located in the sand box. Is there a way to find out where /user/… directory in the sandbox UI maps to in the actual sandbox. Also I couldn’t find where $output_directory maps to . Any help is really appreciated.

to create new topics or reply. | New User Registration

• Author
    Replies
    Pramod Thangali

Kar,

Can you provide more details on what you are trying to do? All references to files/directories in a job specification refer to files/directories on HDFS.

Assuming you are referring to the job specification under Job Designer:
    – mapred.input.dir /user/hue/jobsub/sample_data on hdfs
    – $output_directory interpreted as a parameter that is prompted for when you submit the job. This directory should have write permissions for the current user. In this case sandbox.

As an example use:
    – Go to Job Designer
    – Clone streaming _wordcount
    – Change the name of job to say my_streaming_wordcount (or any other name of your choice)
    – Click Save at the bottom of this screen
    – Once you are back on the job designer page, select my_streaming_wordcount
    – Click Submit and it will prompt you for the output directory
    – type /tmp/output1 for example
    When the job is finished, you can go to this directory on the ‘File Browser’ and see results

Hope this helps….

You must be to reply to this topic. | Create Account

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.