HBase Forum

/usr/lib/hbase/bin/hbase hardcoded to -Xmx1000m – why?

David Nguyen

I have installed HDP via rpms on Centos6.4

hbase-0.94.6.1.3.2.0-111.el5.noarch

I was looking around to try and figure out where the -Xmx1000m is coming from as I see -Xmx defined twice when I run `ps -ef | grep master`. (output looks like this: /usr/java/default/bin/java -XX:OnOutOfMemoryError=kill -9 %p -Xmx1000m … -Xmx10g) and it turns out this is hardcoded in /usr/lib/hbase/bin/hbase

line 107
    JAVA_HEAP_MAX=-Xmx1000m

line 352-356
    # Exec unless HBASE_NOEXEC is set.
    if [ “${HBASE_NOEXEC}” != “” ]; then
    “$JAVA” -XX:OnOutOfMemoryError=”kill -9 %p” $JAVA_HEAP_MAX $HBASE_OPTS -classpath “$CLASSPATH” $CLASS “$@”
    else
    exec “$JAVA” -XX:OnOutOfMemoryError=”kill -9 %p” $JAVA_HEAP_MAX $HBASE_OPTS -classpath “$CLASSPATH” $CLASS “$@”
    fi

So regardless of what is being set in hbase-env.sh, $JAVA_HEAP_MAX (which is defined at the top of the hbase script) is always getting pre–pended before $HBASE_OPTS. Is this intended? Are we expected to create $HBASE_HOME/conf/hbase-env-$COMMAND.sh and overload JAVA_HEAP_MAX if we want to use a different heap size than 1000m?

David

to create new topics or reply. | New User Registration

• Author
    Replies
    abdelrahman

Hi David,

the configuration setting has the default value and it can be changed. Here is how to change the Heap size for HBase Master and RegionServer processes? in hbase-env.sh file change the following parameters:

export HBASE_MASTER_OPTS=”-Xmx1024m”
    export HBASE_REGIONSERVER_OPTS=”-server -XX:ParallelGCThreads=4 -Xmn{somevalue}m -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=70 -verbose:gc -XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -XX:+PrintGCDateStamps -Xloggc:/var/log/hbase/gc.log-`date +’%Y%m%d%H%M’` -Xms{somevalue}m -Xmx{somevalue}m -XX:ErrorFile=/var/log/hbase/hs_err_pid%p.log”
    #

Thanks
    -Rahman

David Nguyen

export HBASE_MASTER_OPTS=”-Xmx10g -Xms10g -XX:NewRatio=8″

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I have those set in hbase-env.sh and I can see that my options are active via ps:

/usr/java/default/bin/java -XX:OnOutOfMemoryError=kill -9 %p -Xmx1000m -ea -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode -Xmx10g -Xms10g -XX:NewRatio=8 -Dhbase.log.dir=/var/log/hadoop/hbase -D …..

The problem is that /usr/lib/hbase/bin/hbase is hardcoded to start hbase like this:

“$JAVA” -XX:OnOutOfMemoryError=”kill -9 %p” $JAVA_HEAP_MAX $HBASE_OPTS -classpath “$CLASSPATH” $CLASS “$@”

So regardless of what I put into hbase-env.sh (which gets pulled in as $HBASE_OPTS), $JAVA_HEAP_MAX is prepended to the options.

David

abdelrahman

Hi David,

Please confirm the HBase heap size process by using jmap -heap option. From command line, please run:

jmap -F -heap PID | grep -i MaxHeapSize

PID is the process id.

Thanks
    -Rahman

David Nguyen

Good idea to check it with jmap. Looks like I’ve been worrying about nothing

$ /usr/java/default/bin/jmap -F -heap 37861 | grep -i maxheapsize
    Attaching to process ID 37861, please wait…
    Debugger attached successfully.
    Server compiler detected.
    JVM version is 20.6-b01
    MaxHeapSize = 10737418240 (10240.0MB)

Thanks for the help!

David

You must be to reply to this topic. | Create Account

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.