Home Forums HDP on Linux – Installation Version Of Firefox required?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  James Solderitsch 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Want to do a simple localhost install of HMC into my local CentOS 5.8 VM. The HMC User Guide says that Firefox 12+ is needed. The standard Firefox for this CentOS release is 10.0.5.

Is this OK?

Jim

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Replies

Thanks for the response. Turns out that the Firefox 13 version I installed is 32 bit and so the Java plugin must be 32 bit as well. I had updated Java 7 to the latest 64 bit release and the plugin there was only the 64 bit version which requires a non-standard version of Firefox. At first I thought I could keep Java JDK itself as 64 bit but have a separate JRE installed that is 32 bit but I couldn’t get this configured. So I wound us using the 32 bit version of JDK 7 and this has the right plugin.

Live and Learn I guess.

Collapse

This would require manual registration of java plugin in Firefox. Detailed instructions are available at:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/manual-plugin-install-linux-136395.html

Collapse

With this way of updating firefox, I am told that I do not have the Java plugin available. I just followed Oracle’s instructions to install the latest release of JDK 7 so all security issues should be resolved but my local copy of firefox is not seeing the plugin .so file. I realize this is not important for Hortonworks, but would like firefox to be fully operational. Any ideas?

Collapse

Sasha J

Yes, you are good. CentOS was released a while ago…

Collapse

Well, from Mozilla, I could grab the latest release and put it into my home directory. It (version 13.0.1) runs from there.

My CentOS skills are rusty — it looks like my menu bar link for the web browser now runs this version instead of the original one.

So I guess I am good to go after all.

Collapse
Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)