HDP on Linux – Installation Forum

Version Of Firefox required?

Want to do a simple localhost install of HMC into my local CentOS 5.8 VM. The HMC User Guide says that Firefox 12+ is needed. The standard Firefox for this CentOS release is 10.0.5.

Is this OK?

to create new topics or reply. | New User Registration

• Author

Well, from Mozilla, I could grab the latest release and put it into my home directory. It (version 13.0.1) runs from there.

My CentOS skills are rusty — it looks like my menu bar link for the web browser now runs this version instead of the original one.

So I guess I am good to go after all.

Sasha J

Yes, you are good. CentOS was released a while ago…

With this way of updating firefox, I am told that I do not have the Java plugin available. I just followed Oracle’s instructions to install the latest release of JDK 7 so all security issues should be resolved but my local copy of firefox is not seeing the plugin .so file. I realize this is not important for Hortonworks, but would like firefox to be fully operational. Any ideas?

This would require manual registration of java plugin in Firefox. Detailed instructions are available at:

Thanks for the response. Turns out that the Firefox 13 version I installed is 32 bit and so the Java plugin must be 32 bit as well. I had updated Java 7 to the latest 64 bit release and the plugin there was only the 64 bit version which requires a non-standard version of Firefox. At first I thought I could keep Java JDK itself as 64 bit but have a separate JRE installed that is 32 bit but I couldn’t get this configured. So I wound us using the 32 bit version of JDK 7 and this has the right plugin.

Live and Learn I guess.

You must be to reply to this topic. | Create Account

Support from the Experts

A HDP Support Subscription connects you experts with deep experience running Apache Hadoop in production, at-scale on the most demanding workloads.

Enterprise Support »

Become HDP Certified

Real world training designed by the core architects of Hadoop. Scenario-based training courses are available in-classroom or online from anywhere in the world

Training »

Hortonworks Data Platform
The Hortonworks Data Platform is a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop that is truly enterprise grade having been built, tested and hardened with enterprise rigor.
Get started with Sandbox
Hortonworks Sandbox is a self-contained virtual machine with Apache Hadoop pre-configured alongside a set of hands-on, step-by-step Hadoop tutorials.
Modern Data Architecture
Tackle the challenges of big data. Hadoop integrates with existing EDW, RDBMS and MPP systems to deliver lower cost, higher capacity infrastructure.